Worker process restarts ?

Navin Mishra

Hi,

I often see two instances of my ASP.NET web service loaded on 2003
server. It seems while one, the first, instance is loaded and being used,
another instance is loaded too from another instance of ASP.NET worker
process. I've disabled ASP.NET automatic/idle time recycling, etc. When
another instance starts, I don't see any entry in event log for reason why
that happened. Does it need to be enabled ?

Do I need to tune memory requirements, thread pool size, deadlock interval,
request queue limit, etc. ? I tried to tune them but didn't help with NO
reason being logged.

Any idea how to diagnose this ?

Thanks in advance and regards

Navin

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN [MVP]

Hi,
I could not understand exactly what your problem is. do u have two worker
process at same time for same application? It might reasoned by your
application pooling configuration. It is 1 as a default value. Please be
sure u have not changed it accidentally.. Also, do u enabled webgardening?

By the way, there is very good tools for IIS 6.0 troubleshooting. Try to use
IIS 6.0 Resource Kit via this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E6-829E-49B7-8C02-333D9C148E69&displaylang=en

If u have further problems, please be more specific...

--
HTH

Thanks,
Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN
BSc, MCSD.NET
Microsoft .NET & Security MVP

Navin Mishra

Thanks for response. Comments below:

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN said:
Hi,
I could not understand exactly what your problem is. do u have two worker
process at same time for same application?
[Navin] Yes, it seems so.
It might reasoned by your application pooling configuration. It is 1 as a
default value. Please be
sure u have not changed it accidentally.
[Navin] I verified..it is 1 only.
Also, do u enabled webgardening?
[Navin] No. In machine.config. it is off.
By the way, there is very good tools for IIS 6.0 troubleshooting. Try to use
IIS 6.0 Resource Kit via this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E6-829E-49B7-8C02-333D9C148E69&displaylang=en

If u have further problems, please be more specific...
[Navin]I'd read the documents and seen if if helps. But, really, I've seen
it for the first time!?

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN [MVP]

Hi ,
First of all have u tried to use the tools included in Resource Kit?
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EE-A71A-4C73-B628-ADE629C89499&displaylang=en)

Tty to dump what is going on... Have u checked your event log for detailed
description. If any error occurs during IIS execution, event log should have
a detailed description for error.
--
HTH

Thanks,