    Can anyone explain me about what is a worker process in ASP.net.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Bhuwan
    Bhuwan Bhaskar, Oct 23, 2007

  2. re:
    !> Can anyone explain me about what is a worker process in ASP.net.

    A web server worker process is a Windows process used to run IIS applications.
    ASP.NET applications can be run by a worker process.

    Depending on how IIS is configured, there can be multiple worker processes
    running which are serving different Web applications concurrently.

    This design separates applications by process boundaries, and it helps achieve maximum Web server reliability,
    i.e., it isolates apps so that if an app fails, the rest of the applications running on the server continue to work.

    In IIS 6.0, the worker processes (W3wp.exe) call HTTP.sys
    for processing/sending requests and receiving responses over the Web.

    Here's some articles for you to read more about worker processes:

    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/aspwp.asp

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms225480(VS.80).aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/