Workgroup Information File Error

Guest

I have an access 97 (I know, it's old, they won't let me upgrade, don't ask)
databse that many of the people in my company use pretty constantly. Using it
with access produces no errors ever. However, when I try to open it via
VB.NET using any means I can find, I get the following error: "The workgroup
information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user."
I even get this error when connecting via server explorer and doing the
"Test Connection" button. I have used both the jet drivers and the ODBC
drivers, and both hard coded the connections and used the controls from the
toolbox. But I always get this error. Once I believe I tried it when it
wasn't being accessed by anyone else in the company, though this is extremely
difficult and I can't be for certain nobody had it open. The only other
possiblity I can think of is that it is because it is the 97 version, though
I can create a blank access databse and create some similar tables and open
it just fine. I even tried making another databse and linking the needed
tables from the main database, but I still got the error.
I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Mary Chipman

I'm assuming that your database is meant to be unsecured. What this
means is that someone screwed around with security in the main mdb
using something other than the default .mdw file that you get when you
install Access. If you open the mdb in question in Access and go into
the security dialogs, you will find that the owner of the object is
listed as "<unknown>". This is likely the source of your problem. The
easiest way to fix it is to take the database offline and rename it.
While connected to the default, unsecured mdw file (as the Admin user
with no password), create a new mdb and import everything (make sure
you select the relationships, etc). The security dialogs should then
show Admin as the owner of everything.

FWIW, Access is no longer supported. You should mention this to
whoever is controlling the purse strings. If the mdb goes permanently
south and takes all of your data with it, you'll get no help or
support from Microsoft.

--Mary