working console application fails as a web service

Brock

Hi everyone,

I've written a application in VB .NET that uses some COM libraries from a
third party app. The console app calls a class that contains all the logic
for the com libraries and it runs ok.

I would like to expose the app as a web service, so I've written a web
service that calls the same class as the console app, however when I invoke
it, it fails with a number of mysterious errors from within the COM dll's.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of problem before? Are there
known issues with COM and .net web services?

I have written the whole thing using MS Visual Studio .NET 2003 and imported
the COM libraries through the Projects->References menu. option. I can run
web services that do not call the COM libraries ok.

I have tried writing the app in c#, however the com interop calls fail even
earlier

It is enourmously frustrating and looks just about impossible to debug.

Rodrigo García

Hi.

I'm not very sure, but your problem could be in the Apartment Model used
when using web services.

Anyway, maybe the guys in the General->Distributed_Apps could give you more
help.