Working Directory Structure

Discussion in 'Java' started by vnssoftware, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. vnssoftware

    vnssoftware Guest

    How many people work in the Following ways-

    Method1: You have a working directory and in this you only have files
    that need editing. For files that you need to browse you keep them in
    a seperate folder.
    So, whenever you need to edit a file, you take that from say source
    control and place in the editing area. In this compiling all files
    using Ant is easy since you only have few files in the working folder.

    Method2: Have all the source files for reading and editing in the same
    folder.
    Having this approach I have to always hard code the path to compile
    by javac.

    I am not used to Method1. So, if this is a Standard way I would try to
    change myself. Hence does anyone work like Method 2 and if yes how do
    you compile file.

    Thank you and a Happy new year.

    vnssoftware, Dec 30, 2003

  2. vnssoftware

    vnssoftware Guest

    Why no one has replied to this yet? Its just a question on way of
    working. Let me know your views.......

    vnssoftware, Jan 22, 2004

  3. "vnssoftware" <> wrote in message
    | Why no one has replied to this yet? Its just a question on way of
    | working. Let me know your views.......

    When was 'this' posted?
    What _was_ 'this'?

    My newsreader shows no
    record of it..

    oh.. wait, Google, the great archiver..

    "Method2: Have all the source files
    for reading and editing in the same
    folder."

    I use this method, mostly because I
    have always had more pressing
    things (seemingly) to do..

    Mind you, with the hours or days I
    might have saved not having to deal
    with 'lots of little bits' of code, I probably
    would have been well repayed to have
    followed any form of method 1, that
    mentioned 'Ant'

    "Having this approach I have to always
    hard code the path to compile
    by javac."

    I put a .bat compile file in each package
    javac -cp . *.java

    ....I suspect the _best_ answer is..
    "use Ant".

    But (shrugs) _I_ have replied.
    [ ..so there! ;-) ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 22, 2004
  4. vnssoftware

    vnssoftware Guest

    Thank you Andrew- at least someone has replied:)
    Now that I see someone using Method2..how can we use Ant on Method2.
    Suppose we change all java file extensions to .xyzjava and then
    whichever files we need to compile after editing we change extension
    back to .java, and tell Ant to compile .java this can work.
    Is there any other way...to make compilation on individual files
    easier in Method2. Also Ant works by comparing timestamps between src
    and class file directories. Can Ant be made to see class files in the
    ..jar files directly?

    By the way Andrew which newsreader do you use?

    vnssoftware, Jan 23, 2004
  5. "vnssoftware" <> wrote in message
    | By the way Andrew which newsreader do you use?

    Why? (ehhh.. shrugs) OE.

    It is a pretty challenged reader, but at
    least my keyboard has those advanced
    'arrow keys' on it, that go through text. ;-)

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 23, 2004