working set, virtual bytes and private bytes

George2

Hello everyone,

I am using Windows Server 2003 Performance Counter tool to monitor the
memory consumed by my process.

The interested terms are working set, virtual bytes and private bytes.
My questions are,

1. If I want to watch the real physical memory consumed by current
process, which one should I monitor?
2. If I want to watch the physical memory + swap file consumed by
current process, which one should I monitor?
3. Any more clear description of what these terms mean? I read the
help from Performance Counter tool, but still confused which one(s)
identifies the real used physical memory, and which one(s) identifies
the real used physical memory + page swap file, and which one(s)
identifies the required memory (may not be really allocated either in
physical memory or in swap page file).

If there are any related learning resource about the concepts, it is
appreciated if you could recommend some. :)

thanks in advance,
George

Victor Bazarov

George2 said:
I am using Windows Server 2003 Performance Counter tool to monitor the
memory consumed by my process.

The interested terms are working set, virtual bytes and private bytes.

....all of which aren't defined in C++...
My questions are,

1. If I want to watch the real physical memory consumed by current
process, which one should I monitor?

Why are you asking here? This is a platform question. Please learn
to differenciate language issues and platform issues to avoid wasting
your own time asking in all the wrong places.
2. If I want to watch the physical memory + swap file consumed by
current process, which one should I monitor?
3. Any more clear description of what these terms mean? I read the
help from Performance Counter tool, but still confused which one(s)
identifies the real used physical memory, and which one(s) identifies
the real used physical memory + page swap file, and which one(s)
identifies the required memory (may not be really allocated either in
physical memory or in swap page file).

If there are any related learning resource about the concepts, it is
appreciated if you could recommend some. :)

I would say, start in 'microsoft.public.*' hierarchy of newsgroups.