working set, virtual bytes and private bytes

Discussion in 'C++' started by George2, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. George2

    George2 Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I am using Windows Server 2003 Performance Counter tool to monitor the
    memory consumed by my process.

    The interested terms are working set, virtual bytes and private bytes.
    My questions are,

    1. If I want to watch the real physical memory consumed by current
    process, which one should I monitor?
    2. If I want to watch the physical memory + swap file consumed by
    current process, which one should I monitor?
    3. Any more clear description of what these terms mean? I read the
    help from Performance Counter tool, but still confused which one(s)
    identifies the real used physical memory, and which one(s) identifies
    the real used physical memory + page swap file, and which one(s)
    identifies the required memory (may not be really allocated either in
    physical memory or in swap page file).

    If there are any related learning resource about the concepts, it is
    appreciated if you could recommend some. :)

    thanks in advance,
    George

    George2, Jan 9, 2008

  2. George2 wrote:
    > I am using Windows Server 2003 Performance Counter tool to monitor the
    > memory consumed by my process.
    >
    > The interested terms are working set, virtual bytes and private bytes.

    ....all of which aren't defined in C++...

    > My questions are,
    >
    > 1. If I want to watch the real physical memory consumed by current
    > process, which one should I monitor?

    Why are you asking here? This is a platform question. Please learn
    to differenciate language issues and platform issues to avoid wasting
    your own time asking in all the wrong places.

    > 2. If I want to watch the physical memory + swap file consumed by
    > current process, which one should I monitor?
    > 3. Any more clear description of what these terms mean? I read the
    > help from Performance Counter tool, but still confused which one(s)
    > identifies the real used physical memory, and which one(s) identifies
    > the real used physical memory + page swap file, and which one(s)
    > identifies the required memory (may not be really allocated either in
    > physical memory or in swap page file).
    >
    > If there are any related learning resource about the concepts, it is
    > appreciated if you could recommend some. :)

    I would say, start in 'microsoft.public.*' hierarchy of newsgroups.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 9, 2008