Working with Duplicates in Perl to generate Unique ID

Jürgen Exner

David Combs wrote:
[...]
That is just the point. We *cannot* see that quite clearly.

I don't know what you guys are using for newsreaders,
but I'm using trn aka trn4, which has the wonderful
feature of drawing a wee tree (root at left, grows to
the right) of the surrounding part of the current thread, eg for
*this* thread: [...]
Suggestion: maybe switch to trn4 -- or if not that,
then look at it's source and lift the code it
uses to draw the tree.

But even your fantastic trn4 cannot display that great tree structure if the
article
- is not available on your news server yet
- is not available on your news server any more (there are many reasons why
this can happen)
- where the article is filtered out client-side (for whatever reason, e.g.
killfile, scoring, ...)

Not to mention that even if you would have the complete tree structure you
still need to open and read the preceeding article again which is irritating
to say the least.
Not to mention that even if you read the preceeding article again you still
may not understand which _part_ of the article is being referred to. There
are famous examples of "That works" replies where nobody has any idea which
of the three suggested solutions is the one that works.
Man, without the tree, I'd be totally lost, reading
newsgroups!

Exactly our point. Without context it is impossible to follow a discussion.

jue

Scott Bryce

David said:
I don't know what you guys are using for newsreaders,
but I'm using trn aka trn4, which has the wonderful
feature of drawing a wee tree (root at left, grows to
the right) of the surrounding part of the current thread

That's nice. That doesn't mean that any particular post is sitting on
the news server I connect to.

Man, without the tree, I'd be totally lost, reading
newsgroups!

I prefer to display posts by date. That way I don't have to dig through
all the trees to find the latest posts.

Tad McClellan

[snip .sig. You should know by now that it is poor netiquette
to quote those.
]

I don't know what you guys are using for newsreaders,

The "client" is only half of a "client/server" service such as usenet.

You appear to have ignored half of the system in your "analysis".

but I'm using trn aka trn4, which has the wonderful
feature of drawing a wee tree

Can it include in the tree posts that it has not even seen yet?
(ie. posts that have not hit your news server yet, or have expired)

So, having this tree-thing, it's pretty obvious what
a post is replying to.

*if* the post that is being replied to is even *on* the server.

It may not have gotten there yet, in which case it would not be in the tree.

It may have gotten there so long ago that it has rolled off of the
server's queue, in which case it would not be in the tree.

So, maybe you're giving that guy a needlessly-hard time,

You've tiptoed around my killfile before, but now you've finally
tipped the balance.

So long!

Suggestion: maybe switch to trn4

Suggestion:

You should have some understanding of news distribution before you
attempt to lecture on how news should work.

Man, without the tree, I'd be totally lost, reading
newsgroups!

If context was quoted you wouldn't need the tree to keep from getting
lost, which is the very point that many have made in this thread.