Working with forms

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by louishong@lycos.com, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I'm very new to Ruby and haven't really spent much time on it. I'm
    hoping for some enlightenment.

    I'm in the process of designing a financial application that I hope
    can be web based. It'll connect to either MySQL or PostgreSQL
    (preferred) for data storage. I'm anticipating a good size dataset
    around 10-40 gigs of data.

    So here's the question: how well does Ruby work with forms and how
    robust is it working with forms?

    The prototype that I have is in Access and Access is great when it
    comes to creating complex forms with calculations and triggered events
    that looks up specific data. The eventual program will need a fairly
    decent sized grid layout like Excel and hopefully can support graphs
    that nest neatly into small regions of the web page.

    I've looked at sample Ruby websites and so far I've only come across
    text based websites with no dynamic or static forms. Does Ruby
    support these graphic UI forms? If not, what additional program would
    I need to add to the Ruby/Rail mix to make it happen?

    I would like to keep this as a thin client application (i.e. web
    based) and not go the route of full blown .exe program. Any
    suggestions would be great and if there are website that has forms
    built with Ruby I would appreciate the links.
    , Feb 17, 2007