Working with method-wrapper objects

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peer Dr. Griebel, Apr 18, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I'm currently working on a Python Management Console.
    During inspection of my objects I stumbled over method-wrapper objects.
    Such an object may be obtained e.g. as

    method_wrapper = [].__str__

    My problem is: This object is not a method, not a function, not a
    method descriptor. And it is not a routine according to inspect.py.

    So how do I work with it? I would like to be able to detect it. And
    I would like to be able to issue a inspect.getargspec() on it.

    As we are at it: I have a similar problem with
    builtin_function_or_method's. These objects can't be inspected by
    getargspec(). So is there some way to determine the argspec in some way?

    Thanks
    Peer

    Peer Dr. Griebel, Apr 18, 2005