working with personalized host headers using ASP

Frogbèrt

Config: Win2K, IIS5.0

My solution requires that the host header sent to IIS be analyzed. I have
set up a web site that responds to both www.domain.com and domain.com. In
DNS, both a WWW and a * A record exist, so either www.domain.com or
domain.com gets directed to the same web site. However, I wish for
whatever.domain.com to point to the same web site and for my ASP page to
analyze the URL to determine what (if any) was entered BEFORE domain.com. A
VERY simple example would look like this:
<begin example>
TheVirtualServer=GetVirtualServer(Request.Something("URL"),".domain.com")
If TheVirtualServer then
Response.Write TheVirtualServer & " was entered"
Else
Response.Write "No virtual server name was supplied"
End If

Function GetVirtualServer(TheURLEntered, TheDomainToBeChecked)
GetVirtualDomain=Left(TheURLEntered,Instr(1,TheURLEntered,
TheDomainToBeChecked)-1)
End Function
<end example>

Now a user entering "domain.com" as the url should get "No virtual server
name was supplied", whereas a user entering "anything.domain.com" would see
"anything was entered". The challenge: how to have a web server with
www.domain.com and "domain.com" (and/or *.domain.com) as configured host
header to handle ANY request ending in "domain.com" AND how to analyze the
URL passed by the user?

Thanks,
Rob

Frogbèrt

Regarding: if I configure a web site with NO host header, any URL that would
point to an unspecified host header (regardles the domain) would be
redirected to that website. I could write a handler on that website to
redirect to the specific domain. However, configuring a website without a
host header implies a security risk, as this leaves the server vulnerable to
attacks by worms that approach an IP address directly. Is there a
workaround?