Working with Shareaza in VisualStudio

KevinSimonson

I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this in; if it's
not, could someone tell me which newsgroup I could go to to get the
information I need? I've been assigned to make some changes to open
source Shareaza. My boss suggested I do my development in
VisualStudio, since the code is in C++. So I downloaded the Shareaza
source code and opened up a project from the Shareaza "vc10"
directory. I tried running it and a box popped up saying "Unable to
start program 'C:\Documents and Settings\old fogies\Kevin
\Shareaza_r8805_Source\plugins\ZIPBuilder\Win32\Debug
\ZIPBuilder.dll'." I took a look and the "ZIPBuilder.dll" file is
there, in the "Debug" directory, so the problem is not that it doesn't
exist. Does anybody know what I have to do to get Shareaza running in
VisualStudio? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin S

Victor Bazarov

I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this in; if it's
not, could someone tell me which newsgroup I could go to to get the
information I need? I've been assigned to make some changes to open
source Shareaza. My boss suggested I do my development in
VisualStudio, since the code is in C++. So I downloaded the Shareaza
source code and opened up a project from the Shareaza "vc10"
directory. I tried running it and a box popped up saying "Unable to
start program 'C:\Documents and Settings\old fogies\Kevin
\Shareaza_r8805_Source\plugins\ZIPBuilder\Win32\Debug
\ZIPBuilder.dll'." I took a look and the "ZIPBuilder.dll" file is
there, in the "Debug" directory, so the problem is not that it doesn't
exist. Does anybody know what I have to do to get Shareaza running in
VisualStudio? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I think the 'microsoft.public.vc.project_mgt' is the newsgroup you need.
Or perhaps 'microsoft.public.vc.ide_general'. You will have to set up
an executable to load your dynamic library (that's what "dll" is). Your
issue is not with the language, but with the product ("Visual Studio")
or with the library the code for which you've downloaded. BTW, don't
open source projects actually have some kind of "admin" you could ask?
Some way to contact those who worked on it prior to your downloading of
the code?

Stuart Golodetz

I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this in; if it's
not, could someone tell me which newsgroup I could go to to get the
information I need? I've been assigned to make some changes to open
source Shareaza. My boss suggested I do my development in
VisualStudio, since the code is in C++. So I downloaded the Shareaza
source code and opened up a project from the Shareaza "vc10"
directory. I tried running it and a box popped up saying "Unable to
start program 'C:\Documents and Settings\old fogies\Kevin
\Shareaza_r8805_Source\plugins\ZIPBuilder\Win32\Debug
\ZIPBuilder.dll'." I took a look and the "ZIPBuilder.dll" file is
there, in the "Debug" directory, so the problem is not that it doesn't
exist. Does anybody know what I have to do to get Shareaza running in
VisualStudio? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin S

I don't specifically know about Shareaza unfortunately, but you can't
run a .dll (dynamic link library) -- it's just a library to be used by
other programs. Using a .dll usually involves this sort of thing:

1) Making a project that builds an executable.
2) Linking to the .lib which comes with the .dll (the "import library").
3) Including the relevant library headers in your executable's code and
using the things from the .dll.

This is all Windows-specific, however, so it's not topical here
unfortunately. Here's some information on DLLs though, might be worth a
read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library

Hope that helps a bit!
Stu