Working With Video In ASP.NET?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by pbd22, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. pbd22

    pbd22 Guest

    hi.

    i thought there would be volumes on this topinc on the internet, but i
    am having a tough time finding what i am looking for.

    i am trying to learn how to move a video from a cam corder or some
    device to the PC and then upload it to my web site, storing it on the
    server. i am looking for:

    1. an explaination as to which destination is better - BLOB in SQL or
    local FileSystem?
    2. code or links to code that show how to go about providing the upload
    from the user's
    pc to my web site (dealing with size, upload time, etc).

    anything else that i may not be aware of when dealing with video.

    thanks for your time and advice.
    regards.

    pbd22, Dec 3, 2006

  2. 1) best to store the file location and other info in the database, and the
    video file itself on the filesystem.
    2) You upload a video the same way you would upload any other file - with
    HtmlInputFile or (in ASP.NET 2.0) the FileUpload Control.

    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Dec 3, 2006

  3. To add to Peters advice, as video files can be very large indeed, you might
    want to use ftp to upload them to your server as it has less impact on your
    http traffic which is listened for on a different port.

    Also, always try if you can to store the actual video files on a different
    server than the one your serving your web pages from as sending them to
    people can hog your CPU and application unless your using some sort of
    streaming server, and downloads will eat your bandwidth up very easily.
    Consider limiting the bandwidth to a given application in your webserver if
    you can't use different servers, and serve your pages from one app, and the
    video files from another:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...f47-8184-4d25-afcf-c229fffdc981.mspx?mfr=true

    --
    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    VISIT MY WEBSITE:
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Dec 4, 2006
  4. pbd22

    pbd22 Guest

    ok, thanks both.
    i did as you suggest, i set up a second box as an FTP server and it
    stores
    the videos in its hard drive (about 300GB).

    i am wondering, tho. if the people are doing the uploads from the
    upload page on
    my web server and the video is getting stored in my FTP server, is that
    still going to effect the HTTP traffic on the web server?

    pbd22, Dec 8, 2006