Working With Video In ASP.NET?

pbd22

hi.

i thought there would be volumes on this topinc on the internet, but i
am having a tough time finding what i am looking for.

i am trying to learn how to move a video from a cam corder or some
device to the PC and then upload it to my web site, storing it on the
server. i am looking for:

1. an explaination as to which destination is better - BLOB in SQL or
local FileSystem?
2. code or links to code that show how to go about providing the upload
from the user's
pc to my web site (dealing with size, upload time, etc).

anything else that i may not be aware of when dealing with video.

thanks for your time and advice.
regards.

Guest

1) best to store the file location and other info in the database, and the
video file itself on the filesystem.
2) You upload a video the same way you would upload any other file - with
HtmlInputFile or (in ASP.NET 2.0) the FileUpload Control.

Peter

John Timney \(MVP\)

To add to Peters advice, as video files can be very large indeed, you might
want to use ftp to upload them to your server as it has less impact on your
http traffic which is listened for on a different port.

Also, always try if you can to store the actual video files on a different
server than the one your serving your web pages from as sending them to
people can hog your CPU and application unless your using some sort of
streaming server, and downloads will eat your bandwidth up very easily.
Consider limiting the bandwidth to a given application in your webserver if
you can't use different servers, and serve your pages from one app, and the
video files from another:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...f47-8184-4d25-afcf-c229fffdc981.mspx?mfr=true

--
Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

pbd22

ok, thanks both.
i did as you suggest, i set up a second box as an FTP server and it
stores
the videos in its hard drive (about 300GB).

i am wondering, tho. if the people are doing the uploads from the
upload page on
my web server and the video is getting stored in my FTP server, is that
still going to effect the HTTP traffic on the web server?