worst case scenario of a update to a live site

Zeng

Hello,

About once every two days, I need to update the live/production site with
new code (dlls, aspx's etc..), I currently have to find a time when no one
should be logged in to system like early in the morning. However,
occasionally I need to update it in the middle of the day where users are
still using the system. What worst case scenario for our users would be
then? I remember reading when I first started learning about asp.net that
it's "designed" to be smart about replacing the being-used files but not
sure what's the real experience out there in that area.

Thank you very much for your help

Frank Drebin

Yep - I haven't had any problems with doing that.. no "The file is in use by
another process" errors..

You could also tweak the Session_Start in global.asa to bump everyone to
"Unavailable.html" while you do the push.. then, comment that line out
again..

But so long as you are doing your pushes via VS.NET - I've had no problems..

Frank Drebin

Assuming you have FrontPage Server Extensions on ServerA and Server B and
ServerA is your development environment. In VS.NET, in the Solution Explorer
for ServerA - there is an icon for "Copy Project". You specify the
destination and VS.NET uses FPSE to push out your content to ServerB...

Are there any benefits to pushing content to the production server with
VS.NET as you described, vs. a simple windows explorer file copy (other than
convenience)? I'm reluctant to install FPSE (or any non-critical component)
onto the production IIS box.

Frank Drebin

Because the files are being processed *through* IIS - you don't run into
that file-locking problem.. Which you may, with doing it the manual way.

But you are right, there is an additional security concern. If this is an
Internet-accessible server - then you probably shouldn't use FPSE.

John Saunders

Frank Drebin said:
Because the files are being processed *through* IIS - you don't run into
that file-locking problem.. Which you may, with doing it the manual way.

But you are right, there is an additional security concern. If this is an
Internet-accessible server - then you probably shouldn't use FPSE.

With some of our servers, we have access to a back-end network over a VPN.
In these cases, we're able to use Copy Project with the "File Share" mode,
which does not require FPSE.

The big advantage I find is that Copy Project can be told to only copy the
files you need to run the project. No codebehind files are copied, for
instance.

BTW, it was my understanding that the reason one doesn't get "file locked"
errors is that ASP.NET is running off of a shadow copy of the files, not off
of the files in the actual web directory. When you copy files into the "web
site", ASP.NET is notified and recompiles them (writing to the shadow
directory).