    it's "designed" to be smart about replacing the being-used files but not
    sure what's the real experience out there in that area.

    Thank you very much for your help
    Zeng, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Zeng

    Frank Drebin Guest

    Yep - I haven't had any problems with doing that.. no "The file is in use by
    another process" errors..

    You could also tweak the Session_Start in global.asa to bump everyone to
    "Unavailable.html" while you do the push.. then, comment that line out
    again..

    But so long as you are doing your pushes via VS.NET - I've had no problems..

    Frank Drebin, Aug 19, 2003

  3. Zeng

    Frank Drebin Guest

    Assuming you have FrontPage Server Extensions on ServerA and Server B and
    ServerA is your development environment. In VS.NET, in the Solution Explorer
    for ServerA - there is an icon for "Copy Project". You specify the
    destination and VS.NET uses FPSE to push out your content to ServerB...

    "Zeng" <> wrote in message
    > Would you be able to give me more details on the steps you do to "pushes

    via
    > VS.NET" ? I just do file copy using old dos command. Tweaking the
    > Session_Start is not what I want, because the users can lose dirty data

    that

    Frank Drebin, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Zeng

    e Guest

    Are there any benefits to pushing content to the production server with
    VS.NET as you described, vs. a simple windows explorer file copy (other than
    convenience)? I'm reluctant to install FPSE (or any non-critical component)
    onto the production IIS box.

    e, Aug 19, 2003
  5. Zeng

    Frank Drebin Guest

    Because the files are being processed *through* IIS - you don't run into
    that file-locking problem.. Which you may, with doing it the manual way.

    But you are right, there is an additional security concern. If this is an
    Internet-accessible server - then you probably shouldn't use FPSE.

    Frank Drebin, Aug 19, 2003
  6. "Frank Drebin" <> wrote in message
    > Because the files are being processed *through* IIS - you don't run into
    > that file-locking problem.. Which you may, with doing it the manual way.
    >
    > But you are right, there is an additional security concern. If this is an
    > Internet-accessible server - then you probably shouldn't use FPSE.

    With some of our servers, we have access to a back-end network over a VPN.
    In these cases, we're able to use Copy Project with the "File Share" mode,
    which does not require FPSE.

    The big advantage I find is that Copy Project can be told to only copy the
    files you need to run the project. No codebehind files are copied, for
    instance.

    BTW, it was my understanding that the reason one doesn't get "file locked"
    errors is that ASP.NET is running off of a shadow copy of the files, not off
    of the files in the actual web directory. When you copy files into the "web
    site", ASP.NET is notified and recompiles them (writing to the shadow
    directory).
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer