wot no postback?

Kev

How do I programmatically remove the javascript postback functionality
from an ASP.Net 1.1 website (and keep my site working?)

I understand this has been done before.

My customer would like to achieve accessibility standards, so this is
quite an issue.

Kev

How do I programmatically remove the javascript postback functionality
You can't make anything meaningful in ASP.NET without javascript.

So how can you create something that adheres to accessibility
guidelines? Or can't you?

Eliyahu Goldin

Guidelines banning using javascripts are written by people who have very
little idea about how to make internet software. Try to get them to change
the guidelines.

Eliyahu

jasonkester

Kev said:
How do I programmatically remove the javascript postback functionality
from an ASP.Net 1.1 website (and keep my site working?)

I understand this has been done before.

My customer would like to achieve accessibility standards, so this is
quite an issue.

It can be done, but it's not trivial. As another poster has mentioned,
ASP.NET relies heavilly on JavaScript for its postback mechanism. If
you want to remove reliance on JavaScript, you won't be able to use any
of the features that make ASP.NET so quick to develop in. In short,
you'll be going back to basics.

All your server interaction will need to be in the form of Submit
buttons and anchor tags. In the Page_Load, you'll be doing a lot more
work in the 'if (IsPostback)' block. Submit buttons announce that
they've been clicked in the Forms collection, so you'll be sniffing
that and deciding what to do. For simple requests, you'll be packing
anchor hrefs with lots of information before rendering them.

You'll have to do without any asp:whatever tags, and any onServerClick
event handlers. You can still use runat=server to populate your page
and keep your data alive across postbacks, but you'll have to dissect
those postbacks by hand.

Good Luck!

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

Eliyahu Goldin

Even if you somehow could make postbacks without javascript, you would be
still stuck with server-only architecure where you have to make a round-trip
for every single little thing. Your sale people would have a difficult task
of finding customers patient enough to tolerate seconds of reaction time
after almost every mouse click.

Eliyahu

jasonkester

Eliyahu said:
Even if you somehow could make postbacks without javascript, you would be
still stuck with server-only architecure where you have to make a round-trip
for every single little thing. Your sale people would have a difficult task
of finding customers patient enough to tolerate seconds of reaction time
after almost every mouse click.

Absolutely. But remember, there were web applications long before
Javascript was standard issue or reliable. It's a solved problem. The
original poster was simply asking if ASP.NET could be used to do
oldschool CGI programming. The answer is yes.

And somehow I don't think that sales is driving this decision. I'd bet
that his customer read an article somewhere, and is panicking for no
reason. I'd agree that it's probably best to talk this person down off
the ledge, rather than design your whole architecture to accommodate
his misinformed demands.