Would anyone teach me perl?

Dailey Kohtz

I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
titles:
Learning Perl
Programming Perl
Perl Cookbook

Justin C

I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
titles:
Learning Perl
Programming Perl
Perl Cookbook

If you've got Learning Perl you don't need a teacher, it's
an excellent book. If you *really* insist on having a teacher
then try http://www.stonehenge.com - there may be other
teachers, but Randall and Tom wrote the book (literally).

Justin.

Jürgen Exner

Dailey Kohtz said:
I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.
titles:
Learning Perl
Programming Perl
Perl Cookbook

You are aware that "programming" (aka Computer Science) is a
fully-featured university-level degree, are you?
Granted, you don't need a degree in hydro-dynamics to install a water
pipe either, but at the very least you should be very clear to yourself
and to others what exactly you are looking for.

Learning programming: wrong approach and wrong NG. Get some training at
a community college or adult education center or whatever is being
offered in your area. You will be far better off face-to-face with an
actual teacher and well-structured class.

Learning Perl: Well, if you know how to program then Perl is just
another imperative programming language in the tradition of your typical
scripting or shell languages. You should have learned about the typical
concepts of those languages during your programming training.
Reading through Programming Perl will teach you how to code each of
those concept in Perl and while doing so you will also encounter and
learn about Perl-specific features which are not commonly found in other
languages one by one.
Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?

If you trying to learn Perl and if you don't understand a specific
concept or language feature then -after consulting the usual self-help
like man pages- this NG is a very good place to ask specific, targeted
questions.

jue

johannes falcone

I would reccomend
1 the look modern perl free online
2 the book learning perl
3 install perl onto your computer
4 read slowly adn have fun running some examples
5 do the exercises adn slowly read and do the examples
6 check out CPAN for other needs
7 it helps if you have a project, like say you own small blog website, build it and add features or try to make it work with half the code by rewriting it
8 again go slowly and have fun
9 for bonus points install a fre unix like freeebsd or archlinux onto an old pc adn user perl on that
10 try cpanm and cpan-outdated from cpan for install perl modules, and try perlbrew for getting a newer perl

Dailey Kohtz

I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.

titles:

Learning Perl

Programming Perl

Perl Cookbook

Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?

Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?

I'm a pretty fast learner, so don't even worry about getting flustered.

I am under 18 and I can not do college courses, so don't talk to me like one, but understand I have super limited options!!!

Dailey Kohtz

I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.

titles:

Learning Perl

Programming Perl

Perl Cookbook

Can anyone put the time in to teaching me to program?

Are you willing to help me even though I'm don't know how?

I'm a pretty fast learner, so don't even worry about getting flustered.

J. Gleixner

I am under 18 and I can not do college courses, so don't talk to me like one, but understand I have super limited options!!!

Wow.. First, it might be good to learn how to post follow-ups.

Age is a lame excuse, you have access to the Internet. Everything
you ever wanted to learn is available to you. Read books, read
code (pick a module you're interested in, on CPAN or your local
installation, and read through it), write code that does something
you want to do, ask questions. There are a lot of online courses, even
college courses, books, and documentation. If you need a teacher,
then sign-up for a class either online, or some local company.

I'd suggest experimenting/reading about other languages too. Everyone
seems to like/dislike various languages for different reasons and maybe
Perl is/isn't the language for you.

Jürgen Exner

Dailey Kohtz said:
I am under 18 and I can not do college courses,

It certainly would have helped to understand your situation if you had
mentioned that in your first article. People are not mind readers and in
a medium like Usenet the only information you get is what the other
person wrote.
so don't talk to me like one, but understand I have super limited options!!!

Inquire at your school. I cannot imagine that there is a school that
doesn't offer programming classes. And if there really really is none
then gather a few co-students with the same interest and found a
programming group yourself. Heck, we founded our computer group over 30
years ago in 10th grade using a TI-59. Only 2 years later the school
finally bought the first Apple-II.

jue

ccc31807

I've practiced enough to do a helloworld program,but I've had trouble. I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.

There's plenty of good Perl in the standard distribution. Read through it and figure out what each expression, statement, and function does. You will also find that reading perldoc is very helpful.

CC.

Dailey Kohtz

It certainly would have helped to understand your situation if you had

mentioned that in your first article. People are not mind readers and in

a medium like Usenet the only information you get is what the other

person wrote.

Inquire at your school. I cannot imagine that there is a school that

doesn't offer programming classes. And if there really really is none

then gather a few co-students with the same interest and found a

programming group yourself. Heck, we founded our computer group over 30

years ago in 10th grade using a TI-59. Only 2 years later the school

finally bought the first Apple-II.

jue

Dailey Kohtz

I have the v5 and second adition O'Rielly.

Do you mean the second edition? (And, do you mean the Camel Book,

'Programming Perl'?) That's thoroughly out of date, and while it will be

possible to learn basic Perl from that, you'd be better off getting a

copy of the third or fourth edition.

(For the record, I learnt Perl from the 3rd edition and the manpages,

but then I already knew basic programming [no pun intended]. I learnt

programming at the age of about 10 with a BBC Master 128 and The Usborne

Book of Computer Programming, later supplemented with a proper Acorn

manual (which explained about nifty constructions like DEFPROC which

weren't in portable BASIC). I have never had any formal instruction, bar

a single course on 'Automata and Formal Languages' I took at University,

most of which I already knew from reading the Bison manual.)

There's plenty of good Perl in the standard distribution.

Hmm. There's also plenty of bad Perl, or, at least, Perl-4-era Perl.

Many of the core modules are maintained on a 'don't touch it unless it

breaks' basis, which is a pretty sound policy for important and

well-tested code, but doesn't necessarily make for good examples to

learn from.

Ben

don't care, congrats on your successful childhood. I have learned good things from the copy I have and I'm looking at forth adition. Thank you for theadvise anyway. I am sorry for my rude posts. I'm glad ya hit me in the head, because I needed it. (just saying... still not quitting.)

Rainer Weikusat

ccc31807 said:
There's plenty of good Perl in the standard distribution. Read
through it and figure out what each expression, statement, and
function does.

I beg to differ here: Reading code is the worst idea I can presently
imagine for learning how to use a programming language except in very
rare cases (when the code was specifically written to teach something
to someone and the author happened to have a clue[*]). 'Read the
documentation and write code' is much better. This will likely end up
as (already 50,000 time re-implemented) general purpose library for
doing this, that or something else. Which is totally fine when the
purpose is to learn something (other than showing off on the
internet). The result will likely be useless but before one can move
to getting the complicated stuff wrong, one has to get the simple
stuff wrong first :).

[*] Eg, I have a (meanwhile seriously dated) copy of Sedgewick's
"Algorithms in C" at home and while I consult the explanations whenever
I'm moving into an area where they're applicable, the code examples
are total crap because the guy not only didn't know the language very
well but had a couple of 'mathy' habits, such as restricting itself to
using single-letter variable names, which greatly impede understanding
(the opposite habit, UseFifteenCamelCasedWordsForEverything,
is as bad [no, IDE-autocompletion doesn't help. It won't
auto-complete the alphabetic tapeworm in the mind of a reader]).