would this be possible--newbe Q

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ford Clan, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Ford Clan

    Ford Clan Guest

    Hi all,
    I have been searching for some time now and have not real found any anything
    that has convinced me that this can or can not be done. So before I go
    learning Java and then find out that it can't I would like ask if the
    following concept would be possible.

    I would like an application that would run on the client (Mac os9, X and MS
    Windows) and
    monitor a directory for a file. The App would wait until file had finished
    being written and
    would then send the binary data via HTTP to a server, with of progress
    status as the file will be large.

    My understanding of the rfc on http POST is that it could not be used in
    this manner, is this correct

    If this possible some pointers to the right primers would be handy.

    If I'm asking silly questions I'm sorry, totally new to Java :)

    Thanks in advance
    Ford Clan, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Ford Clan wrote:

    > I would like an application that would run on the client (Mac os9, X and
    > MS Windows) and
    > monitor a directory for a file. The App would wait until file had finished
    > being written and
    > would then send the binary data via HTTP to a server, with of progress
    > status as the file will be large.
    >
    > My understanding of the rfc on http POST is that it could not be used in
    > this manner, is this correct

    Well indeed it is possible using HTTP-POST. It is a normal
    multipart/form-data request. Never have seen any code for the client-side
    but for the server-side the following sites might be helpful:
    http://www.oop-reserch.com/cross_servlet.html
    http://www.api4java.net/

    So if you know how to get the data on the server-side writing a client
    should be pretty starightforward.

    Good luck,

    Wolfram Rittmeyer
    http://www.jsptutorial.org