    probably direct me to some link. Google search did not offer much.
    thanks
    Ittium

    ittium, Dec 23, 2011

  2. ittium

    zindorsky Guest

    Re: wrapper class and N-to-1-uses-a relationship

    On Dec 23, 8:06 am, ittium <> wrote:
    > Group,
    > I have a small doubt

    This has been bugging me for a while, so I'm going to finally say
    something. You do not have a doubt. You have a question. In English
    "doubt" does not have the meaning you seem to think it does.

    zindorsky, Dec 23, 2011

  3. ittium

    red floyd Guest

    On 12/23/2011 11:03 AM, zindorsky wrote:
    > On Dec 23, 8:06 am, ittium<> wrote:
    >> Group,
    >> I have a small doubt

    > This has been bugging me for a while, so I'm going to finally say
    > something. You do not have a doubt. You have a question. In English
    > "doubt" does not have the meaning you seem to think it does.

    I believe it's the dialect that they use in India.

    red floyd, Dec 23, 2011
  4. ittium

    ittium Guest

    On 24-12-2011 AM 12:59, red floyd wrote:
    > On 12/23/2011 11:03 AM, zindorsky wrote:
    >> On Dec 23, 8:06 am, ittium<> wrote:
    >>> Group,
    >>> I have a small doubt

    >> This has been bugging me for a while, so I'm going to finally say
    >> something. You do not have a doubt. You have a question. In English
    >> "doubt" does not have the meaning you seem to think it does.
    >>

    > I believe it's the dialect that they use in India.

    Thanks for pointing this out. This actually is a question. But I think,
    in comp news groups, question is more important than small grammatical
    errors.

    ittium, Dec 24, 2011
  5. On 12/24/2011 4:58 AM, Paavo Helde wrote:
    > ittium<> wrote in news:jd25dr$6b6$:
    >
    >> Group,
    >> I have a small doubt regarding
    >> http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/value-vs-ref-semantics.html#faq-3
    >> 1.4 As per this faq, only valid places(apart from virtual/dynamic
    >> data) to use reference semantic are
    >> - wrapper class
    >> -N-to-1-uses-a relationship
    >> These are generic terms, will appreciate if some one could explain or
    >> probably direct me to some link. Google search did not offer much.

    > N-to-1 is easier to explain. This means that the same object of type A must
    > be accessible from N objects of type B. In C++, an object is a region of
    > memory, having a certain size (as reported by the sizeof() operator). As it
    > is physically impossible the some region of memory (A) belongs at the same
    > time into several different memory regions of same type (B), it means that
    > for having this kind of relationship, A must be a separate object and all B
    > objects should contain a pointer or reference to the A object.
    >
    > With the wrapper classes it is not so clear what the author has meant. I
    > guess in this context this just means that the A object is already existing
    > and must remain accessible from other parts of the program as the A object.
    > Maybe it is a member in some std::map<A> or other container. However, other
    > parts of the program want to have access to the exact same object, but via
    > different interface. As it might not be possible or feasible to add this
    > interface directly to the A class, a wrapper class B is defined instead,
    > which provides the needed interface and forwards the actual function calls
    > to the original A object. For doing this it must contain a pointer or
    > reference to the A object.

    I believe a more appropriate term for the latter is "adapter" instead of
    "wrapper". Wrappers *usually* contain the object they "wrap".

    Victor Bazarov, Dec 24, 2011
  6. ittium

    ittium Guest

    On 24-12-2011 PM 09:16, Paavo Helde wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov<> wrote in

    > [...]
    >>> With the wrapper classes it is not so clear what the author has
    >>> meant. I guess in this context this just means that the A object is
    >>> already existing and must remain accessible from other parts of the
    >>> program as the A object. Maybe it is a member in some std::map<A> or
    >>> other container. However, other parts of the program want to have
    >>> access to the exact same object, but via different interface. As it
    >>> might not be possible or feasible to add this interface directly to
    >>> the A class, a wrapper class B is defined instead, which provides the
    >>> needed interface and forwards the actual function calls to the
    >>> original A object. For doing this it must contain a pointer or
    >>> reference to the A object.

    >> I believe a more appropriate term for the latter is "adapter" instead
    >> of "wrapper". Wrappers *usually* contain the object they "wrap".

    > Yes, "adaptor" would be more appropriate. Nevertheless, from this FAQ
    > section I get a feeling that by "wrapper" they mean just a "class wrapping
    > a pointer or reference to an object of another class". But then it seems
    > very close to to a tautology to claim that this requires storing a pointer
    > or reference.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paavo

    Copying it to Marshall Cline, He might like to add something.

    ittium, Dec 25, 2011