wrapping long attribute value (line-continuation for attribute value)

lophiomys

Hi,
I have an extra long attribute value, and can't find a way to wrap it
over
several short lines in my text editor, so that it stays nicely human
readable.

Is there a line-continuation escape-code for attribute values, which
could be
used in a std text edior for writing nicely formatted xml?

Just to avoid a misunderstaning: I do not want to have NewLines in the
the resulting attribute value, I just want to format in the raw xml in
the text editor.

E.g. I would want to do something like this ("\n" is faked bleow)
<TAGNAME
attributename="very LONG attribute text\n
attribute text continued"
\>

Regards,
Lophiomys

Joe Kesselman

Is there a line-continuation escape-code for attribute values

Actually, ordinary newlines in attribute values get turned into spaces
-- see http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#AVNormalize

But you're going to confuse a lot of people, since that feature is VERY
rarely used deliberately.

Personally, I'd recommend switching to an editor that can do a better
job of displaying your XML content, but...