Write a program to play a "Dots and Boxes" game variation

fred

The Programmer Of The Month website poses an interesting programming
challenge every so often. We don't have any prizes but we do offer a
friendly forum and the opportunity to compete against fellow
programmers. Hope you'll drop by and give us a look! The latest
problem just began:

http://dinsights.com/POTM/LINESANDBOXES

describes a game called "LINES and BOXES" which is similar to "DOTS and
BOXES".
The main rule differences:

1) you may draw lines longer than one box long;
2) play alternates turns (no bonus for capture);
3) the starting grid may be square or rectangular and may contain some
"pre-made" moves.

If you are a programmer, please think about competing!
If not, then please drop by the forums and share your thoughts!

Thanks for your time.
=Fred (a.k.a the POTM-MASTER)