    --
    Andrew Thompson
    A By-Product Of The TV Industry
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 3, 2005

  2. On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:50:30 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > I am writing a small 'screenshot' task

    [1]

    >...for animated components (screensavers).
    >
    > So far I have managed to grab images of the component and
    > save them to disk as a *series* of images, but I was wonderring
    > if there is anything in the standard API that will write
    > them to a single 'animated GIF'*.
    >
    > [ Note, there are other ways we can go to present them,
    > including a JS or Applet slideshow, so I am not too keen
    > to install something like JAI for this task, I just
    > thought I would check if I missed something in the
    > standard API. ]
    >
    > * Yes, yes 'burn all GIFs' ( yada, yada.. )

    [1] vis.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/display.jsp?fl=/test/codejs/ScreenShot.java>

    [ Note that while this code extends org.apache.tools.ant.Task,
    I have not got the hang of creating Ant tasks yet. It
    does not work as I expected, and thus far I have only
    managed to invoke it as a java task. More delving into
    the Ant docs is required.. ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Fun For The Whole Family (Except Grandma and Grandpa)
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 4, 2005

  3. On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:50:30 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

    A follow up to my own question..

    (wonderring)
    > ..is anything in the standard API that will write
    > ..a single 'animated GIF'*.

    No. Most probably because of that bothersome Unisys
    patent[1] on the LZW compression algorithm.

    > [ Note, there are other ways we can go to present them,
    > including a JS or Applet slideshow, so I am not too keen
    > to install something like JAI

    No point. JAI can *read* Gif's, but cannot write them.

    [1] My investigations led me to check the source of
    this patent nonsence, Unisys. I was sure the patent
    had expired, which this page suggests..
    <http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw>

    Unfortunately, Unisys clouds the waters by continuing to mention,
    "Unisys Corporation holds and has patents pending on a
    number of improvements on the inventions claimed in
    the above-expired patents. .."

    ...they offer an email address from which to request information
    on the new patent(s and applications) but so far, 3 requests
    to the email provided (from two separate addresses) have
    resulted in 0 information from Unisys.

    > * Yes, yes 'burn all GIFs' ( yada, yada.. )

    ...hmmmm.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    "I got a raw deal, so I'm lookin' for a steel.." Tricky 'Black Steel'
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 15, 2005
  4. Andrew Thompson

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:06:25 GMT, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >No. Most probably because of that bothersome Unisys
    >patent[1] on the LZW compression algorithm.

    has not that patent expired? In any case there is no ImageIO gif
    writer builtin.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gifencoder.html
    Roedy Green, Aug 15, 2005
  5. On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:25:56 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:06:25 GMT, Andrew Thompson
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >

    >>No. Most probably because of that bothersome Unisys
    >>patent[1] on the LZW compression algorithm.

    > has not that patent expired? In any case there is no ImageIO gif
    > writer builtin.

    (trimmed, reinstated..)
    [1] My investigations led me to check the source of
    this patent nonsence, Unisys. I was sure the patent
    had expired, which this page suggests..
    <http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw>

    Unfortunately, Unisys clouds the waters by continuing to mention,
    "Unisys Corporation holds and has patents pending on a
    number of improvements on the inventions claimed in
    the above-expired patents. .."

    ...they offer an email address from which to request information
    on the new patent(s and applications) but so far, 3 requests
    to the email provided (from two separate addresses) have
    resulted in 0 information from Unisys.

    ...Do you want to try that email they offer, Roedy,
    or do you have a FAX that can reach their 'Welch
    Patent Licensing Department'?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    "Give me a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time to take a fast train.."
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 16, 2005