Write Excel file from Java

David McCulloch

QUESTION:
What options are available for writing a very simple Excel file from Java?

BACKGROUND:
My application requires minimal formatting beyond what a delimited CSV file
could support:
* Colored header row.
* Some "text" cells (some numbers must retain leading zeroes).
* Reasonably sized columns (could be static width by column).

I would like to keep everything as vanilla as possible (i.e., simple code,
no third-party utilities, etc.).

FYI, I am currently using HTML, but Excel 2000 takes 15-minutes to open an
HTML table with about 3,000 rows and 30-columns. When saved as a true Excel
file, Excel opens that file in under 1-second.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

bort

For a "very simple" excel file, all you need to do is set your delimiter to
tabs ('\t') instead of commas, and save the file with an .xls extension.

bort

Liz

bort said:
For a "very simple" excel file, all you need to do is set your delimiter to
tabs ('\t') instead of commas, and save the file with an .xls extension.

nope, the OP wants color