Write forms values to external file, then execute a program?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by john, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. john

    john Guest

    I'm trying to develop fast, simple, html-based front ends
    for some Windows application programs. My idea:

    1. Use html forms to let users supply run parameters (title,
    run options, etc.)

    2. When the user presses a submit button:

    a. The selected options for all the form fields are
    written to an external file (e.g., c:\project\input.txt)

    b. The application program, say, prog.exe, is executed.
    This program then reads the run parameters from the file
    input.txt and proceeds.

    Here are examples of the kinds of forms I might use:

    <form>
    Run title:
    <input type="text" name="run_title">
    </form>

    <form>
    Method:
    <select name="run_method">
    <option value="1">1</option>
    <option value="2">2</option>
    <option value="3">3</option>
    </select>
    </form>

    Is it possible to do steps 2a and 2b above? If so, does it
    require only html code, or do I need javascript or something
    similar?

    As is probably obvious, I'm just an application programmer,
    and a newbie when it comes to html etc.

    Thanks in advance!

    --
    John Uebersax

    john, Sep 23, 2006

  2. john

    Benjamin Guest

    JavaScript can't processl JavaScript form. What you would need to do is
    use a server-side language like PHP or ASP to process the form and call
    the exe.

    Benjamin, Sep 23, 2006