    As far as how I would write the Word files from Perl on Linux... the
    only idea I have so far is automating OpenOffice. Is this a prudent
    approach? I don't want to paint myself into a corner.
    Larry, Dec 17, 2007

  2. On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:33:30 -0800, Larry wrote:

    > I have a potential project to develop (and host) a web app that has the
    > ability to produce reports in Microsoft Word format (client requirement,
    > not my idea!). I really would like to be able to develop this in Perl
    > on my existing Linux server, but I'm wondering if this is feasible or
    > whether I would need to get a Windows server for this project.
    >
    > As far as how I would write the Word files from Perl on Linux... the
    > only idea I have so far is automating OpenOffice. Is this a prudent
    > approach? I don't want to paint myself into a corner.

    Some possible workarounds, use HTML (see http://use.perl.org/comments.pl?
    sid=1005&cid=1001) or write it in RTF. Not fantastic but the world cannot
    be perfect. Or use vmware to run a Windows instance under Linux.

    HTH,
    M4
    Martijn Lievaart, Dec 17, 2007

  3. Larry

    Mark Hobley Guest

    Martijn Lievaart <> wrote:

    > Some possible workarounds, use HTML

    Where a word formatted document is required, I tend to use html format and
    name it using a double suffix:

    document.html.doc

    The documents are then accepted as word documents within Microsoft Windows.

    (You can just call it document.doc if you want.)

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/
    Mark Hobley, Dec 17, 2007
  4. Larry

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Martijn Lievaart schreef:
    > Larry wrote:

    >> I have a potential project to develop (and host) a web app that has
    >> the ability to produce reports in Microsoft Word format (client
    >> requirement, not my idea!). I really would like to be able to
    >> develop this in Perl on my existing Linux server, but I'm wondering
    >> if this is feasible or whether I would need to get a Windows server
    >> for this project.
    >>
    >> As far as how I would write the Word files from Perl on Linux... the
    >> only idea I have so far is automating OpenOffice. Is this a prudent
    >> approach? I don't want to paint myself into a corner.

    > Some possible workarounds, use HTML (see
    > http://use.perl.org/comments.pl?sid=1005&cid=1001) or write it in
    > RTF. Not fantastic but the world cannot be perfect. Or use vmware to
    > run a Windows instance under Linux.

    I don't see RTF as a workaround. It is a sensible solution for this kind
    of thing. Just put .doc at the end of the file name.

    http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?RTF::Writer
    http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Pod::Simple::RTF

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."
    Dr.Ruud, Dec 17, 2007
  5. Larry

    Larry Guest

    On Dec 17, 5:21 am, "Dr.Ruud" <> wrote:
    > Martijn Lievaart schreef:
    >

    > > Larry wrote:
    > >> I have a potential project to develop (and host) a web app that has
    > >> the ability to produce reports in Microsoft Word format (client
    > >> requirement, not my idea!). I really would like to be able to
    > >> develop this in Perl on my existing Linux server, but I'm wondering
    > >> if this is feasible or whether I would need to get a Windows server
    > >> for this project.

    > >> As far as how I would write the Word files from Perl on Linux... the
    > >> only idea I have so far is automating OpenOffice. Is this a prudent
    > >> approach? I don't want to paint myself into a corner.

    > > Some possible workarounds, use HTML (see
    > >http://use.perl.org/comments.pl?sid=1005&cid=1001) or write it in
    > > RTF. Not fantastic but the world cannot be perfect. Or use vmware to
    > > run a Windows instance under Linux.

    > I don't see RTF as a workaround. It is a sensible solution for this kind
    > of thing. Just put .doc at the end of the file name.
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?RTF::Writer
    > http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Pod::Simple::RTF

    Would this still be acceptable even if the customer wants to modify
    the report in Word after my app creates it?
    Larry, Dec 18, 2007