    grant write perms for ASPNET user account to the folder. what are my
    options?

    tks

    Dica, Jul 24, 2007

  2. "Dica" <> wrote in message
    news:W9mpi.47093$Io4.11354@edtnps89...

    > i'm working on an installation package that needs to write to an existing
    > folder on the user's system, but keep getting an error message about write
    > perms denied. i can't really ask the person installing my app to manually
    > grant write perms for ASPNET user account to the folder. what are my
    > options?

    Slightly confused...

    When you say "the user's system", are you talking about a client machine? If
    so, what exactly are you trying to install there? Is this some sort of
    "desktop" ASP.NET app...?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 24, 2007

  3. Dica

    Dica Guest

    "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Dica" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> i'm working on an installation package that needs to write to an existing
    >> folder on the user's system, but keep getting an error message about
    >> write perms denied. i can't really ask the person installing my app to
    >> manually grant write perms for ASPNET user account to the folder. what
    >> are my options?

    > Slightly confused...
    >
    > When you say "the user's system", are you talking about a client machine?
    > If so, what exactly are you trying to install there? Is this some sort of
    > "desktop" ASP.NET app...?

    yes, i'm talking about a client machine.

    and yes, this is a desktop ASP.Net app. my installation package needs to do
    various things like create the IIS web site, install SQL Express, and then
    copy over and attach an sql database. it's here that my app is crapping out
    because the log files are created automatically by SQLDMO;

    // attach the lighting_control db //

    SQLDMO.Application sqlApp = new SQLDMO.ApplicationClass();

    SQLDMO.SQLServer srv = new SQLDMO.SQLServerClass();

    srv.Connect("localhost\lighting_control", "sa", "XXX");

    // TODO - need to grant write perms on folder //

    srv.AttachDB("Lighting_Control", @"[C:\lighting_db\lighting_control.mdf]");
    // craps out here due to ldf creation //

    Dica, Jul 24, 2007
  4. "Dica" <> wrote in message

    > yes, i'm talking about a client machine.
    > and yes, this is a desktop ASP.Net app.

    Wow!

    > my installation package needs to do various things like create the IIS web
    > site, install SQL Express, and then copy over and attach an sql database.
    > it's here that my app is crapping out because the log files are created
    > automatically by SQLDMO;

    What installation package are you using? Presumably it doesn't have the
    ability to modify ACLs etc...

    But that's what you're going to have to do, one way or another...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 24, 2007
  5. Dica

    > "Dica" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> yes, i'm talking about a client machine.
    >> and yes, this is a desktop ASP.Net app.

    > Wow!
    >
    >> my installation package needs to do various things like create the IIS
    >> web site, install SQL Express, and then copy over and attach an sql
    >> database. it's here that my app is crapping out because the log files are
    >> created automatically by SQLDMO;

    > What installation package are you using?

    well, i'm still working on that. this is a VS2005 solution which includes:
    1. web site project
    2. windows service project
    3. installation project.
    4. VS Setup project

    the installation project is a windows forms based application, which walks
    the user through various forms that require them to do things like accept a
    disclaimer, specify a userName/password for the app, etc. the installation
    app is primarily responsible for doing things like installing IIS, AJAX, SQL
    Express and writing registry keys.

    the VS Setup project is responsible for creating the program folder and
    copying over the web site files. i'm primarily a web developer and have very
    little experience with writing setup projects. from what i've seen so far
    with the setup template, it's possible to specify any number of folders i
    want created on the user's system, but i seem to have no ability to specify
    folder permissions. if i did, it'd be a simple matter of granting write
    perms on my DB folder to the aspnet account.

    on an unrealated note, i'm still struggling with how to have the setup
    project call/execute my installation.exe package once it's done copying over
    the files. in other words, it seem a setup project is only capable of
    copying files to the user's system and not capable of executing additional
    apps.

    Dica, Jul 24, 2007
  6. "Dica" <> wrote in message

    > i'm primarily a web developer

    I guessed... :)

    > from what i've seen so far with the setup template, it's possible to
    > specify any number of folders i want created on the user's system, but i
    > seem to have no ability to specify folder permissions. if i did, it'd be a
    > simple matter of granting write perms on my DB folder to the aspnet
    > account.

    That's right. What I usually do is write a WinForms executable which does
    everything the Setup project can't (e.g. file and folder permissions) and
    then add that as a Custom action at the Commit stage.

    > on an unrealated note, i'm still struggling with how to have the setup
    > project call/execute my installation.exe package once it's done copying
    > over the files. in other words, it seem a setup project is only capable of
    > copying files to the user's system and not capable of executing additional
    > apps.

    You simply add your executable to the Setup project, and then set it as a
    Custom Action. If you add it to the Commit section, the Setup project will
    run it when it's completed its own setup tasks...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 24, 2007
  7. Dica

    > "Dica" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> i'm primarily a web developer

    > I guessed... :)
    >
    >> from what i've seen so far with the setup template, it's possible to
    >> specify any number of folders i want created on the user's system, but i
    >> seem to have no ability to specify folder permissions. if i did, it'd be
    >> a simple matter of granting write perms on my DB folder to the aspnet
    >> account.

    > That's right. What I usually do is write a WinForms executable which does
    > everything the Setup project can't (e.g. file and folder permissions) and
    > then add that as a Custom action at the Commit stage.
    >
    >> on an unrealated note, i'm still struggling with how to have the setup
    >> project call/execute my installation.exe package once it's done copying
    >> over the files. in other words, it seem a setup project is only capable
    >> of copying files to the user's system and not capable of executing
    >> additional apps.

    > You simply add your executable to the Setup project, and then set it as a
    > Custom Action. If you add it to the Commit section, the Setup project will
    > run it when it's completed its own setup tasks...

    perfect. i was assuming there'd be something in the setup project to allow
    me to do that, but couldn't find it.

    tks for all the help.

    Dica, Jul 24, 2007
  8. "Dica" <> wrote in message

    > perfect. i was assuming there'd be something in the setup project to
    > allow me to do that, but couldn't find it.

    No problem.

    > tks for all the help.

    Welcome.

    AAMOI, I'm curious as to why you chose a browser-based solution for what is
    (to me, at least) fairly obviously a WinForms app...

    I appreciate that you're primarily a web developer - so am I - but WinForms
    is actually fairly straightforward. Certainly, it would have removed all the
    hoops you're currently having to jump through just to get the thing
    installed...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 24, 2007
  9. Dica

    > "Dica" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> perfect. i was assuming there'd be something in the setup project to
    >> allow me to do that, but couldn't find it.

    > No problem.
    >
    >> tks for all the help.

    > Welcome.
    >
    > AAMOI, I'm curious as to why you chose a browser-based solution for what
    > is (to me, at least) fairly obviously a WinForms app...

    i originally considered doing a winForms app, but decided that the user
    should have the ability to access the app remotely via WWW if desired.

    Dica, Jul 24, 2007
  10. "Dica" <> wrote in message

    >> AAMOI, I'm curious as to why you chose a browser-based solution for what
    >> is (to me, at least) fairly obviously a WinForms app...

    > i originally considered doing a winForms app, but decided that the user
    > should have the ability to access the app remotely via WWW if desired.

    And how are they going to do that if the app is installed on their local
    machine...?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 24, 2007
  11. Dica

    > "Dica" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> AAMOI, I'm curious as to why you chose a browser-based solution for what
    >>> is (to me, at least) fairly obviously a WinForms app...

    >> i originally considered doing a winForms app, but decided that the user
    >> should have the ability to access the app remotely via WWW if desired.

    > And how are they going to do that if the app is installed on their local
    > machine...?

    i think this is a matter of semantics. the machine where my app is
    considered 'local' during the installation. local machine becomes any other
    machine i'm on after the installation. for instance, if i install my app on
    a PC with netBios name 'terminal1', i'd consider that my local machine. once
    i'm done installation, i go to another PC with netBios 'terminal2' which is
    now 'local machine'. terminal2 shoulld be able to use the web application on
    terminal1 via IP or DNS addressing.

    Dica, Jul 24, 2007
  12. "Dica" <> wrote in message

    >>> i originally considered doing a winForms app, but decided that the user
    >>> should have the ability to access the app remotely via WWW if desired.

    >> And how are they going to do that if the app is installed on their local
    >> machine...?

    > i think this is a matter of semantics. the machine where my app is
    > considered 'local' during the installation. local machine becomes any
    > other machine i'm on after the installation. for instance, if i install my
    > app on a PC with netBios name 'terminal1', i'd consider that my local
    > machine. once i'm done installation, i go to another PC with netBios
    > 'terminal2' which is now 'local machine'. terminal2 shoulld be able to use
    > the web application on terminal1 via IP or DNS addressing.

    Ah - when you said "remotely via WWW" I understood WWW to mean worldwide web
    i.e. the Internet, not your local workgroup...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 24, 2007
  13. Dica

    > "Dica" <> wrote in message

    >>> And how are they going to do that if the app is installed on their local
    >>> machine...?

    >> i think this is a matter of semantics. the machine where my app is
    >> considered 'local' during the installation. local machine becomes any
    >> other machine i'm on after the installation. for instance, if i install
    >> my app on a PC with netBios name 'terminal1', i'd consider that my local
    >> machine. once i'm done installation, i go to another PC with netBios
    >> 'terminal2' which is now 'local machine'. terminal2 shoulld be able to
    >> use the web application on terminal1 via IP or DNS addressing.

    > Ah - when you said "remotely via WWW" I understood WWW to mean worldwide
    > web i.e. the Internet, not your local workgroup...

    i did mean WWW. i should be able to access the resources on terminal1 from
    the other side of the world provided i've got a dns entry and forward port
    80 to that machine through my firewall.

    Dica, Jul 25, 2007