Write permissions??

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Cam, May 30, 2006.

  1. Cam

    Cam Guest

    Can anyone help?

    I am running asp pages linked to an Access database (2000 file format) on a
    web site which works fine, both on the internet and on my local IIS.
    My client has downloaded all the files to his laptop and the site falls over
    whenever it tries to 'execute' update, delete or insert.
    It's like he does not have write permission, but we have checked his
    configuration against mine for Access and IIS and can see no difference.
    I am running XP Pro SP2 and he is on SP1 - That is the only difference we
    can find.
    We have checked all the obvious (in my limited knowledge) things like files
    are not set to read only etc.

    One of the error he gets is "Operation must use an updateable query" but in
    every case the query is trying to write direct to a table and I understand
    that this error occurs when one tries to update a query with a calculated
    field or similar.

    TIA

    Clive Moss

    Cam, May 30, 2006

  2. Cam wrote:
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > I am running asp pages linked to an Access database (2000 file
    > format) on a web site which works fine, both on the internet and on
    > my local IIS.
    > My client has downloaded all the files to his laptop and the site
    > falls over whenever it tries to 'execute' update, delete or insert.
    > It's like he does not have write permission, but we have checked his
    > configuration against mine for Access and IIS and can see no
    > difference.
    > I am running XP Pro SP2 and he is on SP1 - That is the only
    > difference we can find.
    > We have checked all the obvious (in my limited knowledge) things like
    > files are not set to read only etc.
    >
    > One of the error he gets is "Operation must use an updateable query"
    > but in every case the query is trying to write direct to a table and
    > I understand that this error occurs when one tries to update a query
    > with a calculated field or similar.

    No, that's not the only cause.
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2062

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 30, 2006

  3. Cam

    Cam Guest

    That has solved it - it was the folder permissions way up the tree
    somewhere.

    Thanks, Bob

    Clive Moss

    Cam, May 30, 2006