Write To Floppy Drive From Web Site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andrew Hayes, Mar 26, 2008.

  1. Andrew Hayes

    Andrew Hayes Guest

    In our old ASP web site we have an ActiveX control written in VB6 that writes
    a structured file to the users floppy disk drive.

    Now that we are updating the site to ASP.NET, I want to rewrite the ActiveX
    control in C#.NET.

    I created a solution with a ASP.NET Web App project and a Windows Control
    Library project containing a simple user control with a button on it.

    The control assembly is signed, and I have the <object> tag to include the
    control on the default.aspx page. This works fine on my own PC. When I open
    the url I see the ActiveX control with the button. Of course, I have to
    "click to activate activex control", which is fine, and once done I can click
    the button to create the file.

    However, on other users PC's, they don't see the control. Just a box with a
    small icon in it. They are not prompted or otherwise informed of how to get
    it to work.

    What I would really like is for it to behave the way that other ActiveX
    controls do, in that it would show the information bar in IE7, giving the
    option to download the activeX control, and then show the install dialog.

    Do I need to do anything special with the Windows Control Library project to
    get it to work that way?

    Andrew Hayes, Mar 26, 2008

  2. On Mar 26, 4:19 am, Andrew Hayes
    <> wrote:
    > In our old ASP web site we have an ActiveX control written in VB6 that writes
    > a structured file to the users floppy disk drive.
    >
    > Now that we are updating the site to ASP.NET, I want to rewrite the ActiveX
    > control in C#.NET.
    >
    > I created a solution with a ASP.NET Web App project and a Windows Control
    > Library project containing a simple user control with a button on it.
    >
    > The control assembly is signed, and I have the <object> tag to include the
    > control on the default.aspx page. This works fine on my own PC. When I open
    > the url I see the ActiveX control with the button. Of course, I have to
    > "click to activate activex control", which is fine, and once done I can click
    > the button to create the file.
    >
    > However, on other users PC's, they don't see the control. Just a box with a
    > small icon in it. They are not prompted or otherwise informed of how to get
    > it to work.
    >
    > What I would really like is for it to behave the way that other ActiveX
    > controls do, in that it would show the information bar in IE7, giving the
    > option to download the activeX control, and then show the install dialog.
    >
    > Do I need to do anything special with the Windows Control Library project to
    > get it to work that way?

    I think your users might need to add your website to the Trusted Sites
    list in the Internet Explorer browser.

    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Andrew Hayes

    Andrew Hayes Guest

    Thanks for the reply Alexey, but our site already exists in their trusted
    zone. So far I've only got it to appear within our office if the site shows
    up as Local Intranet.

    What I have noticed is that if I go to the Windows Update site on my virtual
    PC, which shows up as belonging to the Internet zone, it still pops up the
    Information Bar dialog, "Did you notice the Information Bar?", and the bar
    says that "This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Update'
    from 'Microsoft Corporation'."

    I'm looking for similiar functionality. Does this mean I have to build my
    Windows User Control as an Internet Explorer add-on?

    Andrew Hayes, Mar 26, 2008