Write To Floppy Drive From Web Site

Andrew Hayes

In our old ASP web site we have an ActiveX control written in VB6 that writes
a structured file to the users floppy disk drive.

Now that we are updating the site to ASP.NET, I want to rewrite the ActiveX
control in C#.NET.

I created a solution with a ASP.NET Web App project and a Windows Control
Library project containing a simple user control with a button on it.

The control assembly is signed, and I have the <object> tag to include the
control on the default.aspx page. This works fine on my own PC. When I open
the url I see the ActiveX control with the button. Of course, I have to
"click to activate activex control", which is fine, and once done I can click
the button to create the file.

However, on other users PC's, they don't see the control. Just a box with a
small icon in it. They are not prompted or otherwise informed of how to get
it to work.

What I would really like is for it to behave the way that other ActiveX
controls do, in that it would show the information bar in IE7, giving the
option to download the activeX control, and then show the install dialog.

Do I need to do anything special with the Windows Control Library project to
get it to work that way?

Guest

[...]

I think your users might need to add your website to the Trusted Sites
list in the Internet Explorer browser.

Andrew Hayes

Thanks for the reply Alexey, but our site already exists in their trusted
zone. So far I've only got it to appear within our office if the site shows
up as Local Intranet.

What I have noticed is that if I go to the Windows Update site on my virtual
PC, which shows up as belonging to the Internet zone, it still pops up the
Information Bar dialog, "Did you notice the Information Bar?", and the bar
says that "This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Update'
from 'Microsoft Corporation'."

I'm looking for similiar functionality. Does this mean I have to build my
Windows User Control as an Internet Explorer add-on?