    government> . "Son, you want to write a book? There are no books anymore. It
    happened away way before they "trademarked" "freedom". Son, your life is in
    constant peril. Because you seek to be free.

    Tech07, Oct 12, 2009

  2. "Malcolm McLean" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > "Tech07" <> wrote in message
    >> Bashing a book is, duh, easy. Who here wants to (can) write a book?

    > Richard Heathfield, spinoza111 and myself have all written books on
    > programming topics. Also a few other less regular regs.

    maybe even I could write one?...

    but then again, on what topic?
    it seems like on almost any topic there are plenty of books written.

    hmm:
    physics simulators (but, then again, I am soon to realize that my physics
    sucks vs people who actually know much of anything about the topic...).

    compilers: maybe, but it seems lots of people have already written books on
    this.

    probably, finding a good topic to write a (non-fiction) book on is a good
    deal harder than that of finding a good project direction (as it seems at
    times like there is nothing to do which is not being done already...).

    or such...

    BGB / cr88192, Oct 12, 2009

  3. Tech07

    Seebs Guest

    On 2009-10-12, BGB / cr88192 <> wrote:
    > maybe even I could write one?...

    You never know 'til you try.

    In my case, the eventual result was:

    Yes, I can write a book. It takes longer than I expected, it's a lot
    harder than I expected, and I learned a lot more from it than most of my
    readers probably will. But it was a ton of fun.

    If I had the time, would do again.

    -s

    Seebs, Oct 13, 2009
  4. "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    > In <hb0amn$jlg$>, BGB / cr88192 wrote:
    >

    >> "Malcolm McLean" <> wrote in message

    >>> Richard Heathfield, spinoza111 and myself have all written books on
    >>> programming topics. Also a few other less regular regs.
    >>>

    >> maybe even I could write one?...

    > Writing a book is not the hard part. Getting a publisher to pay /you/
    > (rather than vice versa) is the hard part.

    hadn't thought of publisher...

    would have assumed just making it available online, but I guess this is more
    of a paper...

    >> but then again, on what topic?
    >> it seems like on almost any topic there are plenty of books written.

    > Ecclesiastes 12:12
    >
    > <snip>

    yes, ok.

    I guess in a way, books are more the organized form of the otherwise
    disorganized information trudging...

    one of the ideas I had in the past had been a 'vectorized' physics book
    (AKA: physics reworked to largely replace all this dirty old trigonometry
    with vectors), but then I have disovered, apparently newer college-level
    physics books have already done this...

    the only real next step along this road would then be to explain how to do
    real-time computer simulations of most of this stuff, but this would be
    about like an annotated physics engine in book form.

    the question then is that of it having a point...

    it is unclear if there is much other topic at present, since most other
    topics which come to mind either already have books, or don't need them.

    VMs are another possibility, but this topic is very fluid and would be
    difficult to give adequate coverage.

    and, I can't probably say much, having essentially created something almost
    a sort of monstrosity (need a bytecode? how about interpreted x86?...). it
    works, but would seem at the outset to be a distasteful design, almost an
    ad-hoc chimera of different technologies. it is not clear that this would be
    a good direction to present (as opposed to the more clean/sterile designs
    pursued by many other VMs...).

    many people would probably stop just as soon as x86 were proposed as a
    bytecode (or, even likely an x86 derived bytecode).

    (horrid as it is though, I am left thinking x86 may actually be a worthwhile
    model for a low-level bytecode...).

    there are a few possible tweaks, but as noted, this proposition is sort of a
    "house of cards" (it may be tempting to "clean house" in a few "innocent"
    ways, but in so doing destroy any real merit of following this path, as one
    may find something "x86-like but not binary compatible" to be an almost
    worthless prospect...).

    BGB / cr88192, Oct 13, 2009
  5. Tech07

    Tech07 Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > "Tech07" <> wrote in message
    >> Bashing a book is, duh, easy. Who here wants to (can) write a book?

    > Richard Heathfield, spinoza111 and myself have all written books on
    > programming topics. Also a few other less regular regs.

    1. I respond to posts sequentially (ok, most of the time, but maybe I'm
    tantric).
    2. I respect that. I love books I have learned a lot from them.
    3. Let's not go there.
    4. Let's not go there either, but thanks.

    Tech07, Oct 13, 2009
  6. Tech07

    Tech07 Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > In <hb0amn$jlg$>, BGB / cr88192 wrote:
    >

    >> "Malcolm McLean" <> wrote in message

    >>> Richard Heathfield, spinoza111 and myself have all written books on
    >>> programming topics. Also a few other less regular regs.
    >>>

    >> maybe even I could write one?...

    > Writing a book is not the hard part. Getting a publisher to pay /you/
    > (rather than vice versa) is the hard part.

    I wouldn't do it that way. I can write code, oops, that's all you can do?
    (being facetious). No, if I write a book, I'll write the fucking thing. And
    then make it. (Did I use the F word again? I'm such a fucking idiot,
    seesh).

    >> but then again, on what topic?
    >> it seems like on almost any topic there are plenty of books written.

    > Ecclesiastes 12:12

    "first one over the hill gets arrows in his back"?

    P.S. Don't be waitin' for me writin' any books.

    Tech07, Oct 13, 2009
  7. Tech07

    Frank Guest

    In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Richard Heathfield Did Inscribe:

    > Ecclesiastes 12:12

    aND FURTHER, by these my son, be admonished, because Isaiah is next, and
    it's the raving of self-important clerics.

    --
    Frank

    ....it's obviously how his disease manifests itself, any kind of substance
    dependency is very deep, issues of self esteem, you can just tell that he's
    a really insecure and vulnerable person -- and I love him. You know,
    sometimes I listen to him on the radio, and he's very judgmental, he's a
    very angry person, and I just want to remind him that anytime you have a
    finger pointing at someone else, there's three pointing back at you.
    ~~ Al Franken

    Frank, Oct 13, 2009
  8. Tech07

    Frank Guest

    In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Richard Heathfield Did Inscribe:

    > In <>, Frank wrote:
    >
    >> In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Richard Heathfield Did Inscribe:
    >>

    >>> Ecclesiastes 12:12

    >> aND FURTHER, by these my son, be admonished, because Isaiah is next,
    >> and it's the raving of self-important clerics.

    > Rightly or wrongly, I conclude from the above response that you're
    > more interested in making a fool of yourself than in participating in
    > sensible discussions.

    I'm a day's journey from Revision Centrale. I would think that you would
    want to know that Amis are building a $2 billion facility on the river
    jordan.

    Sometimes I diss you just because you're english. I'm already a recovering
    racist and sexist. I think you see abstract computer science as a work in
    progress.
    --
    Frank

    The irony upon irony of this lawsuit was great. First, Fox having the
    trademark 'fair and balanced' -- a network which is anything but fair and
    balanced. Then there's the irony of a news organization trying to suppress
    free speech.
    ~~ Al Franken, CNN interview

    Frank, Oct 14, 2009