writing a plugin for ethereal ... where to start

Johnny B

posted this in the wrong NG...all help is appreciated.

<--orig post-->
Hello all,

I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console
applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know
what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,
how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.
thanks in advance!
<--/orig post-->

Jack Klein

[...]

You're still in the wrong newsgroup. None of plugin, ethereal,
packers, or SIP protocol are part of the C++ language.

I don't know where this question is appropriate, but I do know that it
is not here.

Since you mention Win32, you probably need a Windows programming group
or a Visual C++ support group.