writing a plugin for ethereal ... where to start

Discussion in 'C++' started by Johnny B, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Johnny B

    Johnny B Guest

    posted this in the wrong NG...all help is appreciated.

    <--orig post-->
    Hello all,

    I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
    packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
    google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
    how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
    project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console
    applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
    what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
    'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know
    what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,
    how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
    most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.
    thanks in advance!
    <--/orig post-->
    Johnny B, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Johnny B

    Jack Klein Guest

    On 20 Feb 2004 18:05:41 -0800, (Johnny B) wrote
    in comp.lang.c++:

    > posted this in the wrong NG...all help is appreciated.
    >
    > <--orig post-->
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
    > packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
    > google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
    > how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
    > project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console
    > applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
    > what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
    > 'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know
    > what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,
    > how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
    > most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.
    > thanks in advance!
    > <--/orig post-->

    You're still in the wrong newsgroup. None of plugin, ethereal,
    packers, or SIP protocol are part of the C++ language.

    I don't know where this question is appropriate, but I do know that it
    is not here.

    Since you mention Win32, you probably need a Windows programming group
    or a Visual C++ support group.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com