writing a plugin for ethereal ... where to start

Johnny B

Hello all,

I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console
applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know
what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,
how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.
thanks in advance!

Mac

Hello all,

I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console
applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know
what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,
how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.
thanks in advance!

This group is for discussing the C programming language as specified by
the relevant ansi/iso standard(s). The stuff you are talking about is
mostly off-topic in this group. Here are some URL's for more information
on this group:

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/dj3vande/clc/clc-welcome.txt

Good luck with your project!

Mac

Allin Cottrell

Johnny said:
Hello all,

I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
project. my only c++ experience comes from...

Wrong newsgroup on two counts: this is comp.lang.c, not .c++, and
anyway this topic is system-specific and we talk about standard,
portable C here. Try finding an ethereal list, or a newsgroup
dealing with the particular platform for which you want to write
the plugin.

CBFalconer

Johnny said:
I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
^^^^^^[1] ^^^^^^^^[2]
packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
^^^^^^^[3] ^^^^^^^^^^^^[4]
google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
^^^^^^^[1]
how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console
^^^[5] ^^^^^[6]
applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know ^^^^^^^^^[7]
what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,
^^^^^^[1]
^^^^^^^^[2]
how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.

[1] Not part of standard C
[2] Not part of standard C
[3] Not part of standard C
[4] Not part of standard C
[5] Not part of standard C. Nor the inverse.
[6] Not part of standard C.
[7] Not part of standard C.

You seem to be off topic here. From [5] and [6] I would suggest a
group with windows and possibly C++ in its name. Since you must
have read the faq and lurked here before posting, you really
should have picked up this in advance.