    how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
    most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.
    thanks in advance!

    Johnny B, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Johnny B

    Mac Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:11:21 +0000, Johnny B wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
    > packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
    > google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
    > how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
    > project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console
    > applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
    > what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
    > 'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know
    > what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,
    > how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
    > most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.
    > thanks in advance!

    This group is for discussing the C programming language as specified by
    the relevant ansi/iso standard(s). The stuff you are talking about is
    mostly off-topic in this group. Here are some URL's for more information
    on this group:

    http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/dj3vande/clc/clc-welcome.txt

    Good luck with your project!

    Mac

    Mac, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Johnny B wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
    > packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
    > google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
    > how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
    > project. my only c++ experience comes from...

    Wrong newsgroup on two counts: this is comp.lang.c, not .c++, and
    anyway this topic is system-specific and we talk about standard,
    portable C here. Try finding an ethereal list, or a newsgroup
    dealing with the particular platform for which you want to write
    the plugin.

    --
    Allin Cottrell
    Department of Economics

    Allin Cottrell, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Johnny B

    CBFalconer Guest

    Johnny B wrote:

    > I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes

    ^^^^^^[1] ^^^^^^^^[2]
    > packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on

    ^^^^^^^[3] ^^^^^^^^^^^^[4]
    > google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on

    ^^^^^^^[1]
    > how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
    > project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console

    ^^^[5] ^^^^^[6]
    > applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
    > what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
    > 'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know

    ^^^^^^^^^[7]
    > what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,

    ^^^^^^[1]
    ^^^^^^^^[2]
    > how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
    > most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.

    [1] Not part of standard C
    [2] Not part of standard C
    [3] Not part of standard C
    [4] Not part of standard C
    [5] Not part of standard C. Nor the inverse.
    [6] Not part of standard C.
    [7] Not part of standard C.

    You seem to be off topic here. From [5] and [6] I would suggest a
    group with windows and possibly C++ in its name. Since you must
    have read the faq and lurked here before posting, you really
    should have picked up this in advance.

    --
    Chuck F () ()

    CBFalconer, Feb 20, 2004