Writing applet-like apps...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Terry Mulvany, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. I am constantly struggling with the problem of what 'type' of application to
    develop. WinForm or WebForm?
    The customer says I need a central database for all sites but the sites are
    geographically disperse limited to DSL Internet access (VPN solution not an
    option due to huge support burden).
    The users at each site want a rich, high performance interface but the folks
    back at headquarters want a birds-eye view of all data.
    It would be nice to provide a solution that provides the richness and
    performance of Java Applets all hitting a central DB. I've tried no-touch
    deployment/href exe and do not like the fact that I'm restricted to the
    IEExec 'sandbox'.
    What is the equivalent to Java Applet in .NET?
    I spent 10 minutes slapping together a quick href exe that just brings up a
    form and I launched it over the Internet and was pleased with it, but when I
    tried adding simple DB access (to SQL Server), either directly through
    ADO.NET SqlClient or through a Web Service... nightmare! All kinds of
    security errors. In my opinion the only protection .NET should provide is
    on the client machine (file I/O, registry, etc.), not on the server as in
    the case of DB access. I even gots error when I added that web site (where
    the exe lives) as a Trusted Site in IE. Are these errors correctable on the
    server or the client? If it's the client, then we would have to support
    hundreds of people which would be crazy!
    Any advise or recommended reading on this supject is greatly appreciated.

    -Terry Mulvany
    Terry Mulvany, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Terry Mulvany

    Tim Jarvis Guest

    Tim Jarvis, Mar 2, 2004

  3. thanks but the updater block is just a way to 'pull' in new updates for a
    winform app. i am raising the question of what type of solution to
    provide... webform or winform because they need a central db for many
    goegraphically disperse sites (need to report on all sites) yet the sites
    need a rich/high performance UI.

    Terry Mulvany, Mar 2, 2004
  4. Terry Mulvany

    Muckeypuck Guest

    I just wrote an ftp component. I used the embedded win control hosted in
    i.e. template and was quite pleased. It took me more time to realize i had
    to upgrade to 1.1 from 1.0 then it took me to get 90% of the functionality i
    needed going (i/o etc).

    As for the updates and hence the other guys suggestion i think, there are
    ways to push updates and even the neccessary permissions down to the user
    and i have even read posts from wile e. coyote super geniuses who say they
    did it with no user interaction, Our admin does updates that occur while the
    splash screen is up so it really is possible if you have enough power.

    If i remember tomorrow when im at the office, ill gather up all the links i
    used and get em posted for you.

    Muckeypuck, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Terry Mulvany

    Itai Raz Guest

    My $0.02:

    IE has progressed immensely since the days of version 2.0 (hence v6.0...).
    In my opinion there's a fairly small amount of things that you cannot do in
    dynamic HTML nowadays. You can see some wonderful GUIs out there (check out
    hotmail or Yahoo). If you can make all of your users use IE6 (and it sounds
    like you can, because you're considering having them use a proprietary
    client), then I would say go with web GUI and make the best of what IE6 can
    do. I would be curious to know what are those things that you want to do in
    a regular windows form app that you cannot do on a web GUI.

    --itai

    P.S. I did not relate to the fact that writing a web GUI still requires a
    lot more expertise than writing a windows forms GUI. Granted.

    Itai Raz, Mar 5, 2004