Writing ASCII for r-232 output into induction machine??

ratedr1

I have a machine that uses induction to bond metals together. The
machine has a remote heat station that you set the wattage, and the
time, etc (with up and down buttons) and it will run on its own.
However, every time I need to bond different metals, thicknesses,
widths, etc... I need to reset the info and go through the whole
process again. The machine, has an rs-232 port on the back of it,
which will accept codes written in ascii that will send that pertinent
information to it. I would like some help (Im an ascii newbie) with
writing these programs, so that I can store all the metals,
thicknesses, etc in a laptop connected to this remote heat station, and
then I can have anyone run it so long as they can read.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Scott
PLEASE email me at (e-mail address removed)

Dag Sunde

I have a machine that uses induction to bond metals together. The
machine has a remote heat station that you set the wattage, and the
time, etc (with up and down buttons) and it will run on its own.
However, every time I need to bond different metals, thicknesses,
widths, etc... I need to reset the info and go through the whole
process again. The machine, has an rs-232 port on the back of it,
which will accept codes written in ascii that will send that pertinent
information to it. I would like some help (Im an ascii newbie) with
writing these programs, so that I can store all the metals,
thicknesses, etc in a laptop connected to this remote heat station, and
then I can have anyone run it so long as they can read.

First, you need to download and install the Java Comm Api:
http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/

Second, you need to identify/understand the protocol the machine
use/require. (ie. what sequence of ascii-characters makes up a command,
how it takes the 'data', etc...).

For example: 'SetPwr#800;' to set the wattage to 800W...

See the SerialDemo application in the samples directory of javacomm
for an howto on simple communication.

ratedr1

Is it possible to add a timer/timed event in a batch or txt file?

for example. I have written a program that sends information to a
computerized induction furnace through a rs port. here is what I have
in the txt file

1,amps,50
1,hon

what the above does is sets the heating element to 50 amps, and then
turns the heating element on (hon). In this program I can have a timer
to set how long it will run the heat for with an item like this:
1,timer,30 (setting the timer to 30 seconds). however...what I am
REALLY trying to accomplish, is to have it do something like this, but
the program cannot

1,amps,50
1,hon
1,timer,30
1,hoff
1,amps,300
1,hon
1,timer,30

The above would set the amps to 50 and30 seconds, then turn off and
immediately set the amps to 300 and 30 seconds. the prog cannot do
that...so is there a way to have the actual text or batch file, use the
computers timer to send programs at a timed point? like the computer
would send the first part of the program, then after 30 seconds, it
would send the second part of it. that would accomplish what I want,
but I cannot. I can do it manually, but that is not what I want to
do...less thinking for my employees is what I need

PLEASE email me at (e-mail address removed) if you have an answer or I will
try and check here periodically

Thanks so much in advance and sorry so long
Scott

Andrew Thompson

On 8 Jun 2005 07:23:51 -0700, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

[ Former X-Post reduced to c.l.j.programmer only. ]
Is it possible to add a timer/timed event in a batch or txt file?

See my response to the post you made under the other title on c.l.j.p.