Writing bitfields with varying field lengths

Grumfish

In order to familiarize my self with Flash files and their bytecode I've
started to make an assembler. My first problem is writing the bitfields
the format uses often. It is a series of fields, each can be a different
number of bits, combined into the least amount of bytes possible. Extra
bits in the last byte are padded with zeros. I would like to make a
function that takes a size and value for each field needed, calculate
the amount of needed bytes, place the values, and the nretun a binary
string of the resulting bitfield. I am at a complete loss on how to
place the values into the field. I've Googled but have found nothing
helpful. Can anybody help?

Mike C. Fletcher

Grumfish said:
In order to familiarize my self with Flash files and their bytecode
I've started to make an assembler. My first problem is writing the
bitfields the format uses often. It is a series of fields, each can be
a different number of bits, combined into the least amount of bytes
possible. Extra bits in the last byte are padded with zeros. I would
like to make a function that takes a size and value for each field
needed, calculate the amount of needed bytes, place the values, and
the nretun a binary string of the resulting bitfield. I am at a
complete loss on how to place the values into the field. I've Googled
but have found nothing helpful. Can anybody help?

This should help you get started. There are more efficient ways to do
the work, but this is easily followed (hopefully):

def packBitField( * items ):
"""Pack any size set of boolean values into binary string"""
result = []
items = list(items)
while len(items)>=8:
result.append( pack8( items[:8] ) )
del items[:8]
if items:
result.append( pack8( items+([0]*(8-len(items)) ) ))
return "".join( result )

def pack8( items ):
"""Pack 8 booleans into a byte"""
value = 0
for x in range(len(items)):
value += (not not items[x])<<x
return chr(value)

if __name__ == "__main__":
print repr(packBitField( 0 ))
print repr(packBitField( 1 ))
print repr(packBitField( 0,1 ))
print repr(packBitField( 1,1 ))
print repr(packBitField( 0,0,1 ))
print repr(packBitField( 1,0,1 ))
print repr(packBitField( 0,1,1 ))
print repr(packBitField( 1,1,1 ))
print repr(packBitField( 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1 ))

Enjoy,
Mike

_______________________________________
Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/

Bengt Richter

In order to familiarize my self with Flash files and their bytecode I've
started to make an assembler. My first problem is writing the bitfields
the format uses often. It is a series of fields, each can be a different
number of bits, combined into the least amount of bytes possible. Extra
bits in the last byte are padded with zeros. I would like to make a
function that takes a size and value for each field needed, calculate
the amount of needed bytes, place the values, and the nretun a binary
string of the resulting bitfield. I am at a complete loss on how to
place the values into the field. I've Googled but have found nothing
helpful. Can anybody help?
Well, a Python integer or long can hold a large number of bits, so your
problem is just how to specify a narrow field. The simplest thing is probably
just to use tuples to specify bits in an integer, and how many you mean
in the other element of the tuple, e.g., (bit_integer, number_of_bits),
or (bi,nb) for short. You could then give some opcode and flagbit constants
names, e.g.,

FROOBLE = (0x13, 5)
FROZ_ON = (0X1, 1)
FROZ_OFF = (0x0, 1)
FRAZZLE = (0xff1, 12)

Then if you wanted to pack those into a single bit sequence with FROOBLE at
the most significant end and FRAZZLE at the least, thus:

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|1 0 0 1 1|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
\frooble/ ^ \______frazzle________/

+-froz_on

you could write a packer, that takes the list and returns a single combined tuple, e.g.,
....(later...) actually, why not a Bitfield class that will show interactively and
that you can just add to join bitfields? E.g., (hot out of the kitchen, not very tested)

====< bitfield.py >=======================================================
class Bitfield(tuple):
"""Instantiate by Bitfield() for Bitfield(0,0), or Bitfield(bitdata, nbits)"""
def __new__(cls, *args):
if not args: args = (0,0) #default zero width bitfield
return tuple.__new__(cls, args)
def __repr__(self):
bits, nb = self
return '<BF[%d]:%r>'%(nb,''.join([chr(48+((bits>>(nb-1-i))&1)) for i in xrange(nb)]))
def __add__(self, *others):
"""Add another bitfield or sequence of bitfield objects"""
if others and not isinstance(others[0], Bitfield): others = others[0]
combo, totb = self
for bf, nb in others:
combo = (combo<<nb)|(bf&((1L<<nb)-1)) # or just (bits<<nb)|bf if bf value trusted
totb += nb
return Bitfield(combo, totb)
def rpadto(self, align):
frag = self[1]%align
if frag==0: return self
return self + Bitfield(0,align-frag)
def lpadto(self,align):
frag = self[1]%align
if frag==0: return self
return Bitfield(0,align-frag)+self

FROOBLE = Bitfield(0x13, 5)
FROZ_ON = Bitfield(0x1, 1)
FROZ_OFF = Bitfield(0x0, 1)
FRAZZLE = Bitfield(0xff1, 12)

def test():
# example use:
bf_seq = [FROOBLE, FROZ_ON, FRAZZLE]
print 'bf_seq:', bf_seq

combined_bitfield = Bitfield() + bf_seq
print 'combined_bitfield:', combined_bitfield

bf, nbits = combined_bitfield
# pad to an even byte on the right, if desired, e.g.,
right_padded = combined_bitfield.rpadto(8)
left_padded = combined_bitfield.lpadto(8)
print 'right_padded:', right_padded
print ' left_padded:', left_padded

if __name__ == '__main__':
test()
Oop, forgot to docstring rpadto and lpadto, but they obviously pad on
respective sides to make the full width a multiple of the specified alignment
width.

The test gives this result:

bf_seq: [<BF[5]:'10011'>, <BF[1]:'1'>, <BF[12]:'111111110001'>]
combined_bitfield: <BF[18]:'100111111111110001'>
right_padded: <BF[24]:'100111111111110001000000'>
left_padded: <BF[24]:'000000100111111111110001'>

If we spread the combined bits out so we can compare, we get

<BF[18]:
'1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1'>
|1 0 0 1 1|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1|
\frooble/ ^ \______frazzle________/

+-froz_on

You can play with this interactively, e.g.,

HTH

Regards,
Bengt Richter