Writing device driver for custom hardware: C/C++ equivalent of PEEK, POKE

Suresh

Hi,

I need to write a program in C/C++ for read/write operation in an
external memory device (RAM). The read/write application program using
C/C++ in my PC needs to communicate with a memory device (in a custom
made board) to find if my program works and that device responds to
it. In BASIC we use PEEK and POKE instructions. We want to transfer
our BASIC program to C/C++ in WIN32 API for faster and efficient
performance. But in C/C++, how do we write such programs, any
specific commands? we have to use memory address, data for read/write
operation. I use ISA bus and 8255 peripheral interface between my PC
and external memory device or the board. We have a custom made board
designed. the operation includes 2 parts: 1. I/O control of this
board using 8255 and ISA bus, and 2. perform read/write operation to
RAM in this board. I request you to kindly give a clear idea about
this and if possible send me some sample programsin C/C++. Also let me
know the steps/instructions in developing this.

Thanks,
Suresh Vasudev

John Harrison

Hi,

I need to write a program in C/C++ for read/write operation in an
external memory device (RAM). The read/write application program using
C/C++ in my PC needs to communicate with a memory device (in a custom
made board) to find if my program works and that device responds to
it. In BASIC we use PEEK and POKE instructions. We want to transfer
our BASIC program to C/C++ in WIN32 API for faster and efficient
performance.

Try for Windows programming
questions, you are off topic here.

This groups welcome message, http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

John

jota

it. In BASIC we use PEEK and POKE instructions. We want to transfer
our BASIC program to C/C++ in WIN32 API for faster and efficient
performance.

There is also nntp://news.microsoft.com
<OT>
You are in for a big surprice! You might get it to work under W9x but it
sure does not work under NT/2000/XP
Also to jump from BASIC to be write kernelmode drivers in 'C/C++' seems like
a big step.
People who write these kind of drivers have at least 5-10 years of
_advanced_ programming skills.
</OT>
//jota