Writing my own wireless-driver, hard?

defn noob

How hard is it to write a driver for a wireless network card (Ubuntu
doesn't support my card)?

I have a lot of programming experience but in high-level languages
like Python and just minimal C knowledge.

How big is the project, hard to say perhaps but could anyone guess how
many lines approximately?

Is it technically hard or just a lot of specifications to meet?

Keith Thompson

defn noob said:
How hard is it to write a driver for a wireless network card (Ubuntu
doesn't support my card)?

I have a lot of programming experience but in high-level languages
like Python and just minimal C knowledge.

How big is the project, hard to say perhaps but could anyone guess how
many lines approximately?

Is it technically hard or just a lot of specifications to meet?

We don't know. Your question is about a particular system-specific
programming task, not about the C programming language. Try asking in
one of the Linux newsgroups; I'm not sure which one would be best.

Chris McDonald

We don't know. Your question is about a particular system-specific
programming task, not about the C programming language. Try asking in
one of the Linux newsgroups; I'm not sure which one would be best.

Please do not answer for me with "We don't know."

You may not know, even that may not be true, but I'm sure that many
readers here do know.

Moreover, while the question is about a particular system-specific
programming task, the fact that the OP states their minimal knowledge of
C and the fact that they took the effort to post to a C-based newsgroup,
clearly indicates that their question was intended to be about C.

(go on, shoot me down with standard topicality templates).

Paul

defn said:
How hard is it to write a driver for a wireless network card (Ubuntu
doesn't support my card)?

I have a lot of programming experience but in high-level languages
like Python and just minimal C knowledge.

How big is the project, hard to say perhaps but could anyone guess how
many lines approximately?

Is it technically hard or just a lot of specifications to meet?

It would have been more fun, if you'd mentioned the wireless device
make and model. Since you said Ubuntu, you could look here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/ndiswrapper.html

Paul

Keith Thompson

Chris McDonald said:
Please do not answer for me with "We don't know."

You may not know, even that may not be true, but I'm sure that many
readers here do know.

Ok, that's a valid point. But I'm sure that many more readers in an
appropriate Linux newsgroup would be able to help. (I could help if
he asked about Perl, but I wouldn't do so here.)
Moreover, while the question is about a particular system-specific
programming task, the fact that the OP states their minimal knowledge of
C and the fact that they took the effort to post to a C-based newsgroup,
clearly indicates that their question was intended to be about C.

(go on, shoot me down with standard topicality templates).

I'm sure it was *intended* to be about C, but it was really about
device drivers, and this newsgroup isn't the best place to get the
information the OP is asking about -- though it's not a bad starting
point to find out where to post.

I think that advising the OP to ask his question in a Linux group is
the best possible help I could give him. Do you disagree?

Kenny McCormack

Chris McDonald said:
Please do not answer for me with "We don't know."

Welcome to clc. We hope you enjoy your stay.
You may not know, even that may not be true, but I'm sure that many
readers here do know.

Welcome to clc. We hope you enjoy your stay.
Moreover, while the question is about a particular system-specific
programming task, the fact that the OP states their minimal knowledge of
C and the fact that they took the effort to post to a C-based newsgroup,
clearly indicates that their question was intended to be about C.

(go on, shoot me down with standard topicality templates).

Welcome to clc. We hope you enjoy your stay.

Boon

defn said:
How hard is it to write a driver for a wireless network card (Ubuntu
doesn't support my card)?

I'd make sure your NIC is unsupported.

http://wireless.kernel.org/
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu
How big is the project, hard to say perhaps but could anyone guess how
many lines approximately?

Is it technically hard or just a lot of specifications to meet?

The following book is a good starting point.

Linux Device Drivers, Third Edition
http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

You might discuss this topic in comp.os.linux.development.system
or perhaps the linux-netdev mailing list.

Regards.