writing program from a book

Keith Thompson

Nick Landsberg said:
It could have been Fermi, but I'm not sure.

If you put it that way, it could have been Heisenberg. :cool:}

(Most of the Google reference to the quote credit it to Pauli.)

Beardy

David said:
Super quote!

What physicsist was it who originally said it?

David

Most physicists would not call themselves "physicsists" ;-)

And do physicists with tumours call themselves physicysts?

Allin Cottrell

Beardy said:
Most physicists would not call themselves "physicsists" ;-)

And do physicists with tumours call themselves physicysts?

Only those with a sense of tumour.

Sean Burke

Allin Cottrell said:
Only those with a sense of tumour.

I admire your courage in posting this type of off-topic banter
to c.l.c. They should be releasing the hounds any time now. ;->

-SEan

Richard Heathfield

Sean said:
I admire your courage in posting this type of off-topic banter
to c.l.c. They should be releasing the hounds any time now. ;->

We tend to be a bit more forgiving when the banter (a) arose out of a
topical discussion and (b) is genuinely interesting or amusing. The current
banter appears to qualify on both counts. (BTW my (a) and (b) are based on
my own interpretations of when OT banter is tolerated, and should not be
regarded as definitive.)

This subthread cannot be relevant anywhere but comp.lang.c. Followups set.

Dan Pop

In said:
We tend to be a bit more forgiving when the banter (a) arose out of a
topical discussion and (b) is genuinely interesting or amusing. The current
banter appears to qualify on both counts. (BTW my (a) and (b) are based on
my own interpretations of when OT banter is tolerated, and should not be
regarded as definitive.)

For the record, I agree with Richard's interpretation. Inserting an [OT]
tag in the subject line at some point wouldn't have hurt, but even
without it this kind of topic drift is perfectly OK.

And now, since we're discussing topicality, we're topical again, so there
no point in inserting the [OT] tag ;-)

Dan

PS But I should have changed the subject line...