Writing Stored Procedures in MS Access 97

Manoj S. P.

Hi folks,

Is it possible to write stored procedures in MS Access 97?
If yes, how can I call one from my Java program?
Will it be a normal call through a Cllable Statement?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Manoj S. P.

Andy Flowers

Stored procedures (or the MS Access version of them)_ have only been
available since Access 2000.

Even with the correct versions stored procedures are little more than
queries, so no procedural code allowed. The syntax was introduced to support
MSDE (and SQL Server ) better I believe.

If you want to use a simple Windows based database then take a look at MSDE.

Manoj S. P.

Thanks for the reply, Andy.
Atleast you helped me from going into a ghost chase for stored
procedures or equivalent in MS Access 97.
I will be obliged if you could provide me with more information on how
to improve transaction speed when using MS Acces 97 from your Java
program.

Regards,
Manoj S. Panicker

Andy Flowers

Improving speed ?

I have never used Access 97 from Java/JDBC due to the sheer number of layers
that any calls must go through,
JDBC->JDBC/ODBC Bridge->ODBC->Access DLL.

Given that the JDBC/ODBC Bridge is a piece of 'sample', non-production level
code that Sun provide to allow test connections to databases on WIN32 it's
speed is generally not all that hot.

Do you have to use Access 97, or can you use one of the other Java
databases, HSQL et. all, as mentioned throughout the Java newsgroups.

This is probably not a very good answer, but if you ask the question on the
MS Access newsgroups there may be expertise there that may be able to help
with optimising you SQL, operations and database for throughput.