writing to an Excel file using ASP.Net

Jeff Hamilton

I have several ASP.Net pages which allow the user to view
the content in Excel. To do this I am using the
line 'Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel"'
in the Page_Load event. For Win 2K machines running IE
5.0 this does not cause a problem, however for machines
running Win XP and IE 6.0 it generates a fatal error
dialog box stating that Excel needs to close. Is this a
known Excel/IE error or am I doing something incorrectly?

Alvin Bruney

no this is not a known issue. post the code surrounding the contenttype
please.