Writing to Application Event has a problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by David Thielen, Dec 31, 2006.

  1. When my ASP.NET app writes to the event log in Windows 2003 I get this as the
    event:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Windward Portal ) cannot be
    found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able
    to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
    Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Windward
    Portal started successfully.

    HKLM/.../Eventlog/Application/Windward Portal is set right. It gives Query
    Value, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, and Read Control permission to IIS_WPG.
    Once I added Read Control (only) permission for NETWORK SERVICE then it works
    right.

    However, NETWORK SERVICE is a member of IIS_WPG.

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net

    David Thielen, Dec 31, 2006

  2. Hello Dave,

    You may first remove permission of IIS_WPG on the register entery, only
    leave NETWORK SERVICE's permission on it, can it work with this? And, you
    can add the permission of IIS_WPG again, and remove NETWORK SERVICE's
    permission, what will happen?

    Sincerely,

    Luke Zhang

    Microsoft Online Community Support