Writing to CDROM

ChauTu

A while back I asked if it was possible to write a java program that can
automatically write files to a CDROM without the help of external software
and the reply was,

"Certainly not in a platform independent way. CD ROM writers are not
properly integrated as devices in Windows"

So what the person above say is that, you cannot write a drag and drop java
program to write to a CDROM - ONLY the manufacturer of that CDROM
can........?????? Is that the case?....doesn't sound right!! Help plz
explain.

Sudsy

ChauTu said:
A while back I asked if it was possible to write a java program that can
automatically write files to a CDROM without the help of external software
and the reply was,

"Certainly not in a platform independent way. CD ROM writers are not
properly integrated as devices in Windows"

So what the person above say is that, you cannot write a drag and drop java
program to write to a CDROM - ONLY the manufacturer of that CDROM
can........?????? Is that the case?....doesn't sound right!! Help plz
explain.

A CD-ROM burner is heavily constrained by the nature of the process.
The laser needs a steady, buffered flow of data, something which
can be interrupted by something as seemingly minor as a user trying
to download a file at the same time. Timing is of the essence in this
case. Few of us can claim that we've NEVER burned a new coaster. ;-)
It comes down to not being able to treat a CD-R (or CD-RW) as just
another drive. On Windoze you have apps like Nero Burning ROM. On
Linux we have tools like cdrecord. The fact that there are specialized
tools is testament to the sensitivity of the burning process.
Do some reading on the subject and you'll also learn about the
incompatibilities of various formats. Some car CD players can't play
CD-RWs, for example. And then we have those funky Memorex Black CD-Rs...
And FWIW, the low-level device drivers for these recorders are almost
always supplied by the manufacturer. So you're half right.