Writing to EventLog

DJ

I've created a new EventLog for mail services in my web application. Each
time a mail is sent, it is recorded in the eventlog for later review. This
works fine when I am on my development machine (Windows XP Pro), but when I
try to do this on my test server (Windows 2003) I get the security error
message that I don't have the permissions to write to the log.

The EventLog is my own, not one of the base 3 that is in Windows. I saw how
to change the permissions in the registry to allow ASPNET permission to
access the logs, but I don't want that, thus the reason for creating my own
EventLog.

Is there a way to provide permission to ASPNET for specific EventLogs?

Thanks in advance.

bruce barker

you need to add your custom eventlog node to the registery and set
permission. as asp.net is not an admin on the test box, you must do this for
it.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Mike

What you could do is create a Class and have that write to your EventLog.
I've done that and its used by an web app and web service and I didn't have
to setup any special permission for it to work.