    Tutorials? Anything ...

    Best regards
    Marin

    Marin Brkic, Aug 30, 2008

  2. Marin Brkic

    Eric Wertman Guest

    > I'm trying to find a way to write data to excel cells (or to be more
    > specific to an .xls file), let's say for the sake of argument, data
    > readen from a file (although it will be calculated in the process).
    > I've been searching, but couldn't find any examples which allows that.

    The answer will depend on your base os.. if you are on windows there
    will be some options using the COM interfaces I bet.. but I don't know
    anything about them.

    If you are on a unix based os, your choices are limited. If you can,
    I would just write to a csv file and open it with Excel. If you have
    to interface with an exsisting excel file, you can try
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xlrd , but it may not support writing xls
    files, still.

    Eric Wertman, Aug 30, 2008

  3. On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Marin Brkic <mbrkic@invalid_mail.adress> wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >

    > I'm trying to find a way to write data to excel cells (or to be more
    > specific to an .xls file), let's say for the sake of argument, data
    > readen from a file (although it will be calculated in the process).
    > I've been searching, but couldn't find any examples which allows that.

    Is it suitable for you to use a python program talking with a running
    instance of openoffice? in that case, pyuno could help you.

    --
    Marco Bizzarri
    http://notenotturne.blogspot.com/

    Marco Bizzarri, Aug 30, 2008
  4. Marin Brkic schrieb:
    > I'm trying to find a way to write data to excel cells (or to be more
    > specific to an .xls file), let's say for the sake of argument, data
    > readen from a file (although it will be calculated in the process).
    > I've been searching, but couldn't find any examples which allows that.

    If you have Excel installed you can use COM to access Excel and to
    "remote-control" it in order to save a .xls file.

    I have no Windows nor Excel at the moment, so I can only write something
    approximative. Searching for win32com will help.

    win32com.Coinitialize(...)
    excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
    wbook = excel.NewDocument()
    sheet = wbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")
    sheet.Cells(1,1) = "Abc"
    wbook.Saveas("filename")
    excel.close() or destroy()
    win32com.coUninitialize()

    The objects available are very similar to the VBA objects, so recording
    a macro and translating its VBA source to python should not be hard.

    HTH
    Leo

    Leonhard Vogt, Aug 30, 2008
  5. Marin Brkic

    Ken Starks Guest

    Marin Brkic wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > please, let me apologize in advance. English is not my first language
    > (not even my second one), so excuse any errors with which I'm about to
    > embarass myself in front of the general public. Second, I'm relatively
    > new to python, so sorry if this seems like a stupid question.
    >
    > I'm trying to find a way to write data to excel cells (or to be more
    > specific to an .xls file), let's say for the sake of argument, data
    > readen from a file (although it will be calculated in the process).
    > I've been searching, but couldn't find any examples which allows that.
    >
    > Do anyone knows of any ? All help is appreciated on this matter.
    > Tutorials? Anything ...
    >

    > Best regards
    > Marin

    Not specific to python, but if you have a recent version of excel, you
    could write to the Excel xml format (if not, you could consider
    the (or one of the) gnumeric xml formats.

    The Excel format is verbose, but you can copy and paste most of it.
    The critical bit you need your software to write looks
    something like this:

    <Worksheet ss:Name="Sheet1">
    <Table ss:ExpandedColumnCount="2" ss:ExpandedRowCount="5"
    x:FullColumns="1"
    x:FullRows="1">
    <Row>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">number</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">square</Data></Cell>
    </Row>
    <Row>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">1</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">1</Data></Cell>
    </Row>
    <Row>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">2</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">4</Data></Cell>
    </Row>
    <Row>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">3</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">9</Data></Cell>
    </Row>
    <Row>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">4</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">16</Data></Cell>
    </Row>
    </Table>
    <WorksheetOptions xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:excel">
    <Selected/>
    <Panes>
    <Pane>
    <Number>3</Number>
    <ActiveRow>5</ActiveRow>
    <ActiveCol>1</ActiveCol>
    </Pane>
    </Panes>
    <ProtectObjects>False</ProtectObjects>
    <ProtectScenarios>False</ProtectScenarios>
    </WorksheetOptions>
    </Worksheet>

    Ken Starks, Aug 30, 2008
  6. Marin Brkic

    John Machin Guest

    On Aug 31, 12:41 am, Marin Brkic <mbrkic@invalid_mail.adress> wrote:

    > I'm trying to find a way to write data to excel cells (or to be more
    > specific to an .xls file), let's say for the sake of argument, data
    > readen from a file (although it will be calculated in the process).
    > I've been searching, but couldn't find any examples which allows that.
    >
    > Do anyone knows of any ? All help is appreciated on this matter.
    > Tutorials? Anything ...

    It helps in situations like this to mention details of your
    environment
    (1) what version of what operating system (Linux, OS X, Windows, etc)
    (2) what version of Python
    as the available solutions are often dependent on the answers.

    For Python version 2.[345] on any platform, you can use xlwt, which is
    as simple as this for writing a 1-worksheet Excel 97-to-2003 XLS file
    (without any formatting):

    def write_xls(file_name, sheet_name, data):
    import xlwt
    book = xlwt.Workbook()
    sheet = book.add_sheet(sheet_name)
    rowx = 0
    for row in data:
    rowx += 1
    for colx, value in enumerate(row):
    sheet.write(rowx, colx, value)
    book.save(file_name)
    # data can be any of the following Python types: int, long, float,
    decimal.Decimal, datetime.date, datetime.datetime, bool, str, and
    unicode.

    xlwt is available from https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/xlwt/trunk

    I suggest that you join the python-excel group (http://
    groups.google.com.au/group/python-excel?hl=en) or at least read some
    of the questions and responses.

    HTH,

    John

    John Machin, Aug 31, 2008
  7. Marin Brkic

    John Machin Guest

    On Aug 31, 12:57 am, "Eric Wertman" <> wrote:
    > If you have
    > to interface with an exsisting excel file, you can try http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xlrd, but it may not support writing xls
    > files, still.

    That remark appears to be an inverted cousin of the old joke question
    "Have you stopped beating your wife?" :)

    xlrd is still doing what it was designed to do: read (not "interface
    with") Excel xls files. There is a currently active project to add
    support for reading the xlsx (x=XML) files produced by Excel 2007.
    This may be followed by Excel 2007 xlsb (b=binary) files and
    OpenOffice ods files. Writing is not on the agenda.

    Cheers,
    John

    John Machin, Aug 31, 2008
  8. Marin Brkic

    Eric Wertman Guest

    Yes sorry, that's a really poorly formed sentence all the way
    around... not a dig on xlrd, but a warning to the OP that they may not
    find what they are looking for there.

    Eric Wertman, Aug 31, 2008
  9. Marin Brkic

    Marin Brkic Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:18:19 -0700 (PDT), John Machin
    <> wrote:

    Hello John (and everyone else), thanks for answering.

    >It helps in situations like this to mention details of your
    >environment
    >(1) what version of what operating system (Linux, OS X, Windows, etc)
    >(2) what version of Python
    >as the available solutions are often dependent on the answers.

    Yes, of course. I sometimes forget the most essential of things.
    - winxp, sp2
    - python 2.5.2

    >For Python version 2.[345] on any platform, you can use xlwt, which is
    >as simple as this for writing a 1-worksheet Excel 97-to-2003 XLS file
    >(without any formatting):

    Actually, that might work. What I was needing (aiming for) was a way
    to write to excel 2003 files. Formatting is not necessary, since what
    I'm trying to write is some tabular data; results from fortran-python
    simulation (I can explain, but the details seem irrelevant for this
    case).
    I'm trying to avoid the text file - import to excel - mechanism, since
    there is quite a lot of files written.

    >def write_xls(file_name, sheet_name, data):
    > import xlwt
    > book = xlwt.Workbook()
    > sheet = book.add_sheet(sheet_name)
    > rowx = 0
    > for row in data:
    > rowx += 1
    > for colx, value in enumerate(row):
    > sheet.write(rowx, colx, value)
    > book.save(file_name)
    ># data can be any of the following Python types: int, long, float,
    >decimal.Decimal, datetime.date, datetime.datetime, bool, str, and
    >unicode.
    >
    >xlwt is available from https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/xlwt/trunk
    >
    >I suggest that you join the python-excel group (http://
    >groups.google.com.au/group/python-excel?hl=en) or at least read some
    >of the questions and responses.

    Please, one more question. As you have noticed, I posted my message to
    comp.lang.python, using a newsreader. Is there a way to access google
    groups through a similiar interface program as a newsreader. Never
    used them before, and getting a lot of messages to my email every day
    does not sound very appealing to me.

    Best regards
    Marin

    Marin Brkic, Aug 31, 2008
  10. Marin Brkic

    Marin Brkic Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:37:16 +0200, "Marco Bizzarri"
    <> wrote:

    >Is it suitable for you to use a python program talking with a running
    >instance of openoffice? in that case, pyuno could help you.

    Hello Marco, thanks for answering,

    no, sorry. As much as I like OOffice, several other people will be
    using the program I'm working on, and I can't cound on them having the
    OOffice installed.
    MS, as much as I hate to admit it, is the industry standard (or, at
    least that's the one we're stuck with at the present time ;-)

    Best regards
    Marin

    Marin Brkic, Aug 31, 2008
  11. Marin Brkic

    Marin Brkic Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 03:36:39 +0200, Marin Brkic
    <mbrkic@invalid_mail.adress> wrote:

    >On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:37:16 +0200, "Marco Bizzarri"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Is it suitable for you to use a python program talking with a running
    >>instance of openoffice? in that case, pyuno could help you.

    >Hello Marco, thanks for answering,
    >
    >no, sorry. As much as I like OOffice, several other people will be
    >using the program I'm working on, and I can't cound on them having the

    *count*

    Marin Brkic, Aug 31, 2008
  12. On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 03:36:39 +0200, Marin Brkic wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:37:16 +0200, "Marco Bizzarri"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Is it suitable for you to use a python program talking with a running
    >>instance of openoffice? in that case, pyuno could help you.

    > Hello Marco, thanks for answering,
    >
    > no, sorry. As much as I like OOffice, several other people will be using
    > the program I'm working on, and I can't cound on them having the OOffice
    > installed.

    Of course you can. You could simply tell them that you need the
    programming interface to OpenOffice and that's the format you will be
    supplying the data. If they want your data, they will use what you tell
    them to use *if you give them no choice*.

    If they want your data, most people will just accept that OpenOffice is a
    strange mysterious programming requirement, like all the other strange
    mysterious things programmers and sys admins install on their PC. The
    requirements are "a computer, Python and OpenOffice" instead of "a
    computer and Python".

    If there are exceptions who know enough to insist that Excel can do
    everything OpenOffice can do (more or less), and they don't want to use
    OpenOffice, then don't argue. Just say that you're working on support for
    Excel, but it will take a few weeks, but as a temporary measure they can
    use OpenOffice until the code is ready. You will be *amazed* at how much
    people will accept change if you tell them it's only temporary.

    You might even discover that by the time Excel support is ready, they
    will prefer OpenOffice.

    > MS, as much as I hate to admit it, is the industry standard (or, at
    > least that's the one we're stuck with at the present time ;-)

    Only because we treat it as standard. You had no hesitation to write code
    that relies on people having Excel installed, and yet you didn't want to
    rely on an open source free software package that anyone with a fast
    Internet connection or a CD drive can install in just a couple of
    minutes. You don't even need to reboot the PC.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Aug 31, 2008
  13. Marin Brkic

    Marin Brkic Guest

    On 31 Aug 2008 02:37:16 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
    <> wrote:

    >Of course you can. You could simply tell them that you need the
    >programming interface to OpenOffice and that's the format you will be
    >supplying the data. If they want your data, they will use what you tell
    >them to use *if you give them no choice*.
    >
    >If they want your data, most people will just accept that OpenOffice is a
    >strange mysterious programming requirement, like all the other strange
    >mysterious things programmers and sys admins install on their PC. The
    >requirements are "a computer, Python and OpenOffice" instead of "a
    >computer and Python".
    >
    >If there are exceptions who know enough to insist that Excel can do
    >everything OpenOffice can do (more or less), and they don't want to use
    >OpenOffice, then don't argue. Just say that you're working on support for
    >Excel, but it will take a few weeks, but as a temporary measure they can
    >use OpenOffice until the code is ready. You will be *amazed* at how much
    >people will accept change if you tell them it's only temporary.
    >
    >You might even discover that by the time Excel support is ready, they
    >will prefer OpenOffice.
    >

    >> MS, as much as I hate to admit it, is the industry standard (or, at
    >> least that's the one we're stuck with at the present time ;-)

    >Only because we treat it as standard. You had no hesitation to write code
    >that relies on people having Excel installed, and yet you didn't want to
    >rely on an open source free software package that anyone with a fast
    >Internet connection or a CD drive can install in just a couple of
    >minutes. You don't even need to reboot the PC.

    As much as a lot of the above is true, and I agree with some of it,
    things are not more often than not that simple. It would be true if I
    was, for example, working in a private owned company where we could
    choose what we use, install our own stuff, have liberties and people
    generally interested in learning new software and ... that approach.

    On the other hand, when you work in an institution that has people
    with their own problems (technical, but not computer related) - on
    which they want to spend their time, and not installing and adapting
    to new software solutions; when you have system engineers who decide
    what you use, and generally who maintain the computers we work on, and
    when all licences are gotten and sponsored by someone else, ... then,
    well, then it's a little different situation.
    Rules exist - exceptions can be made, and are made if there is a need
    for them, but switching to open office just for me, when everyone has
    gotten used to this one, and ... well, let's just say that one's not
    going to be on the exception list :)

    I remember an older coleague who said; "open, free and whatever
    licence type ... software is free, only up to some amount of $$/per
    hour". After that you just want things to work, and if they don't
    work, there are people who are paid $/per hour to make it work.
    And generally, when you look at the industry sector, ms IS the
    standard - not because we treat it, but because for now, it just is.
    When OOffice is used by 60% of all people I deal with, then maybe it
    will be the standard.
    Sorry for a little rough-but-straight-to-the-point-explanation, but
    it's usually the quickest way to deal with
    free-vs-commercial-starting-to-arise-flame-war :) which usually
    happens after a post like this.

    Best regards
    Marin

    Marin Brkic, Aug 31, 2008
  14. On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 05:12:01 +0200, Marin Brkic wrote:

    > I remember an older coleague who said; "open, free and whatever licence
    > type ... software is free, only up to some amount of $$/per hour".
    > After that you just want things to work, and if they don't work, there
    > are people who are paid $/per hour to make it work.

    And that applies *exactly* the same to Excel as OpenOffice, except that
    you're not paying the cost for the software and the licences and tracking
    the licences.

    If you can find a package that "just works" for writing to Excel, great.
    Otherwise you have to build it yourself. And that's when you have to
    decide whether you want to spend 40 hours of programmer time (less than
    one programmer-week) trying to get write support for Excel in order to
    save two hours of support time for OpenOffice.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Aug 31, 2008
  15. Marin Brkic

    John Machin Guest

    On Aug 31, 11:32 am, Marin Brkic <mbrkic@invalid_mail.adress> wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:18:19 -0700 (PDT), John Machin
    >
    > <> wrote:

    > >For Python version 2.[345] on any platform, you can use xlwt, which is
    > >as simple as this for writing a 1-worksheet Excel 97-to-2003 XLS file
    > >(without any formatting):

    > Actually, that might work. What I was needing (aiming for) was a way
    > to write to excel 2003 files.

    "write to a file" has connotations of updating an existing file;
    "write a file" or "create a file" are less ambiguous.

    > Formatting is not necessary, since what
    > I'm trying to write is some tabular data; results from fortran-python
    > simulation (I can explain, but the details seem irrelevant for this
    > case).
    > I'm trying to avoid the text file - import to excel - mechanism, since
    > there is quite a lot of files written.
    >
    > >I suggest that you join the python-excel group (http://
    > >groups.google.com.au/group/python-excel?hl=en) or at least read some
    > >of the questions and responses.

    > Please, one more question. As you have noticed, I posted my message to
    > comp.lang.python, using a newsreader.

    I hadn't noticed; what makes you think so?

    > Is there a way to access google
    > groups through a similiar interface program as a newsreader.

    I don't know (question has never arisen before).

    > Never
    > used them before, and getting a lot of messages to my email every day
    > does not sound very appealing to me.

    Either (1) you have not looked at the messages at the link that I gave
    you or (2) your idea of "a lot of messages" every day differs wildly
    from mine. Email alternatives are (a) one message per posting (b)
    daily digest (c) none (use your web browser).

    HTH,
    John

    John Machin, Aug 31, 2008
  16. Marin Brkic

    John Machin Guest

    On Aug 31, 12:37 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st...@REMOVE-THIS-
    cybersource.com.au> wrote:

    > Only because we treat it as standard. You had no hesitation to write code
    > that relies on people having Excel installed, and yet you didn't want to
    > rely on an open source free software package that anyone with a fast
    > Internet connection or a CD drive can install in just a couple of
    > minutes. You don't even need to reboot the PC.

    Consider that there are parallel universes to yours, where big brother
    severely limits access to the Internet, where staff have to sign
    rather draconian agreements about their use of the company facilities,
    where desktops are scanned nightly for contraband (the finding of
    which will cause the brownshirts to drop in for a quick game of hands-
    knees-and-bump-your-exe), where even the mention of seditious material
    like OpenOffice might result in a trip to the desert provinces for re-
    education ... the cause is better advanced IMHO by staying under the
    radar and crawling under the wire; tub-thumping soapbox-mounting
    ranters however correct and righteous are likely to suffer a fate
    similar to that of Michael Servetus.

    Marin is allowed to use Python; he's doing very well compared to some.

    They-scrubbed-all-programming-languages-off-the-production-machine-
    that's-why-I-have-csv-routines-written-in-awk-ly yours,
    John

    John Machin, Aug 31, 2008
  17. Marin Brkic

    Alessandro Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > xlrd is still doing what it was designed to do: read (not "interface
    > with") Excel xls files. There is a currently active project to add

    Can xlrd *read* xls files?
    As far as I have used PyExecelerator, it can only *create* xls file.

    I'm viewing the xlrd sources, but I can't find the file loading function
    and there is no examples about it.

    I'm going to join the python-excel group

    Alessandro

    Alessandro, Aug 31, 2008
  18. Marin Brkic

    Ken Starks Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > On Aug 31, 11:32 am, Marin Brkic <mbrkic@invalid_mail.adress> wrote:

    >> Is there a way to access google
    >> groups through a similiar interface program as a newsreader.

    > I don't know (question has never arisen before).
    >
    >> Never
    >> used them before, and getting a lot of messages to my email every day
    >> does not sound very appealing to me.

    > Either (1) you have not looked at the messages at the link that I gave
    > you or (2) your idea of "a lot of messages" every day differs wildly
    > from mine. Email alternatives are (a) one message per posting (b)
    > daily digest (c) none (use your web browser).
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    I use thunderbird for private email, mailing lists and newsgroups.
    It is easy enough to set up filters to divert messages from specific
    mailing lists to their own directory.

    Is this adequate for your needs ? (You do get the whole message, not
    just the header )

    Ken Starks, Aug 31, 2008
  19. Marin Brkic

    Ken Starks Guest

    Marin Brkic wrote:

    <snip ... lots>

    > Actually, that might work. What I was needing (aiming for) was a way
    > to write to excel 2003 files. Formatting is not necessary, since what
    > I'm trying to write is some tabular data; results from fortran-python
    > simulation (I can explain, but the details seem irrelevant for this
    > case).
    > I'm trying to avoid the text file - import to excel - mechanism, since
    > there is quite a lot of files written.

    > Best regards
    > Marin

    Again, not python ( hope I don't start a flame war,
    I've just joined the list John Machin suggested--it
    looks very interesting).

    I have used Apache Cocoon for this kind of task. Everything
    important happens server-side.
    Your raw data could be stored in a database, or a flat file, or
    not stored persistently at all--just be created as a virtual stream
    if you can use your python/fortran utility as a web service.

    It goes into the cocoon pileline, and is first turned into
    XML.
    Then it is turned into other XML (in this case most likely the
    gnumeric format).
    Lastly it is serialized into Excel format, given the appropriate
    Mime type, and sent to your browser.

    It is only when it gets to the Browser, that a decision is made
    as to what to do with it. You can set up your Browser
    to open it is MS Excel (whichever one you have), Open Office,
    Gnumeric, or whatever. Most of them will cope with it perfectly,
    and will be able to save it locally in their most up-to-the-minute
    variation, if that is what you want.

    Cheers,

    Ken.

    Ken Starks, Aug 31, 2008
  20. Marin Brkic

    John Machin Guest

    On Aug 31, 7:21 pm, Alessandro <> wrote:
    > John Machin wrote:
    > > xlrd is still doing what it was designed to do: read (not "interface
    > > with") Excel xls files. There is a currently active project to add

    > Can xlrd *read* xls files?

    Follow the bouncing ball and sing along with me:

    """xlrd is still doing what it was designed to do: read Excel ... xls
    files."""

    The "rd" in xlrd is a contraction of ReaD.

    > As far as I have used PyExecelerator, it can only *create* xls file.

    I can't imagine why you would think that the extent to which you have
    used pyExcelerator has any bearing on its capabilities. In any case
    pyExcelerator has an ImportXLS.parse_xls function, which is rather
    embryonic compared to that of xlrd.

    > I'm viewing the xlrd sources, but I can't find the file loading function
    > and there is no examples about it.

    The "file loading" function of xlrd is called "open_workbook" and is
    in __init__.py. Have you considered reading the documentation for
    xlrd? Have a look at the file runxlrd.py, which not only acts as a
    diagnostic and dump utility, but also is a fairly rich source of
    examples of what you can do with the Book object returned by
    xlrd.open_work_book().

    Could you possibly be viewing the source for xlwt (wt being an
    abbreviation of WriTe)? xlwt is a fork of pyExcelerator. In the
    current version in svn, ImportXLS has been so severely deprecated that
    it has vanished, which might explain why you can't find a "file

    > I'm going to join the python-excel group

    I'm going to look forward to our next communication.

    Cheers,
    John

    John Machin, Aug 31, 2008