Writing to ms excel

Alessandro

John said:
"""xlrd is still doing what it was designed to do: read Excel ... xls
files."""

oops... I had downloaded the sources from
"https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/xlwt/trunk"

eh, xlWT .. obviously I cant find an "open" function in it..
Could you possibly be viewing the source for xlwt (wt being an
abbreviation of WriTe)? xlwt is a fork of pyExcelerator.

I have written about pyExcelerator 'cause the code refers to it! :)

I think I will try to use xlrd/xlwt.
I have joined the group, I will let you know

Thanks
Alessandro

Marin Brkic

"write to a file" has connotations of updating an existing file;
"write a file" or "create a file" are less ambiguous.

Hmm, yes, maybe you're right. Write to a file, as in, create a file
and then write to it is what I ment in the previous post.
I hadn't noticed; what makes you think so?

Oh, sorry, I thought the message header was visible somehow to you.
Well, never mind.
Either (1) you have not looked at the messages at the link that I gave
you or (2) your idea of "a lot of messages" every day differs wildly
from mine. Email alternatives are (a) one message per posting (b)
daily digest (c) none (use your web browser).

Yes, this one does seem a little better concerning the number of
messages. So I subscribed.
Sorry about this, but I remember once subscribing to some google
group, and so many messages started arriving to my mail, that it was
impossible to use that account for anything else.

Best regards
Marin

Marin Brkic

And that applies *exactly* the same to Excel as OpenOffice, except that
you're not paying the cost for the software and the licences and tracking
the licences.

If you can find a package that "just works" for writing to Excel, great.
Otherwise you have to build it yourself. And that's when you have to
decide whether you want to spend 40 hours of programmer time (less than
one programmer-week) trying to get write support for Excel in order to
save two hours of support time for OpenOffice.

Steven, this really is going nowhere. If we continue down this path,
both of us will waste time - for what - fighting for the sake of
fighting. To save further ado, let's just stop the discussion here,
and say, that for some mysterious-out-of-this-world reason, I cannot
use OO alternative.
I agree with some of your points, but sometimes things are not that
simple.

Best regards
Marin