Writing XML and Whitespace

Jason Cavett

I've done some research and figured out how to fix my problem, but now
I'm wondering why this whitespace problem happens.

When I use the following code...

OutputFormat format = new OutputFormat(document);
format.setIndenting(false);
XMLSerializer serializer = new XMLSerializer(new
FileOutputStream(file), format);
serializer.serialize(document);

....to write an XML document (org.w3c.dom.Document), the resulting
output is fine. But, if set indenting to true (to make the XML look
pretty), I get all these weird block characters in the resulting txt
file. The file still opens up okay in my browser, but my application
can't seem to handle it because the reader wants to treat those block
characters as nodes.

Any idea why this happens? Is there a way to fix this and still allow
indenting in my document?

Thanks

Lew

Jason said:
output is fine. But, if set indenting to true (to make the XML look
pretty), I get all these weird block characters in the resulting txt
file. The file still opens up okay in my browser, but my application
can't seem to handle it because the reader wants to treat those block
characters as nodes.

Any idea why this happens? Is there a way to fix this and still allow
indenting in my document?

Is it literally every other character that appears to be a "block" in your
"reader"?

By the way, what browser? What reader? What application? How are you
confirming in the .txt file what is in there?

Does the viewer that you use to review the text file understand UTF-8 encoding?

Writers and readers with different character encodings cause symptoms that
some people might describe similarly, but without more precise information it
is difficult to be certain if that is relevant.

- Lew