wrong number of arguments in initialize

Arti Singh

I tried to initalize my methods and I get an error
def initialize(name,browser,username)
@s_name=name
@browser=browser
@username=username
end #def initialize(dc)
attr_accessor :name,:browser,:username

C:/RubyInstall/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit/testcase.rb:59:in
`initialize': wrong number of arguments (1 for 3) (ArgumentError)

I honestly dont get it now, this is silly

Kyle

but what's the test code you're executing that raises the error?

Brian Candler

Arti said:
I tried to initalize my methods and I get an error
def initialize(name,browser,username)
@s_name=name
@browser=browser
@username=username
end #def initialize(dc)
attr_accessor :name,:browser,:username

C:/RubyInstall/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit/testcase.rb:59:in
`initialize': wrong number of arguments (1 for 3) (ArgumentError)

Open that file in a text editor, go to line 59, and you'll see

catch:)invalid_test) do
suite << new(test) #### ERROR RAISED HERE
end

Then scroll up and you'll see you're inside the 'suite' class method of
class Test::Unit::TestCase, and higher up you'll see

def initialize(test_method_name)

That is, when a Test::Unit::TestCase instance is created, it takes a
single argument which is the test method name.

Almost certainly you should not be meddling with the 'initialize' method
of Test::Unit::TestCase. What exactly are you trying to do? I guess you
want to be able to run the same test suite multiple times with different
parameters? The simplest way may be

def setup
@s_name=ENV['TEST_S_NAME']
@browser=ENV['TEST_BROWSER']
@username=ENV['TEST_USERNAME']
end

Then you can do

rake test TEST_S_NAME=xxx TEST_BROWSER=yyy TEST_USERNAME=zzz

An alternative way is to have a separate class for each of your
scenarios, and share the test methods using subclassing or module
mixins. Then running the suite will run all of the variations in one go.

require 'test/unit'

class TestFoo < Test::Unit::TestCase
def setup
@browser = "foo browser"