WSDL and SQL Injection Attacks

steve813

Hello everyone,

I am working on a web service which has to go through a security
review. My problem is the default Web Service Helper Page (the one
generated by Visual Studio) does not guard against SQL Injection
attacks. They added parameters to URL like:

https://server.company.com/Services/myService/Service.asmx?WSDL=\'
https://server.company.com/Services/myService/Service.asmx?WSDL='
https://server.company.com/Services/myService/Service.asmx?WSDL=;

All of these modifications to the URL results in a page error with no
handling which results in a poor coding error on the page generated by
Visual Studio.

So, I implemented wsdlHelpGenerator to give a generic page but the
security folks now say there's no code... Ahhhhh!!! How can I
update the default Web Service Helper Page (the one generated by Visual
Studio) to protect it against SQL Injection attacks? I have a class to
find these attacks in my code but I have no idea how to protect the
WSDL= from an attack.

Thank you,
Steve

John Saunders

steve813 said:
Hello everyone,

I am working on a web service which has to go through a security
review. My problem is the default Web Service Helper Page (the one
generated by Visual Studio) does not guard against SQL Injection
attacks.

If security is a concern, then remove the helper page! It's not really
something meant for production deployment.

John