WSDL file

Erik Cruz

Hi.

I made a simple web service with just one method called ListOrders, using
VS.NET. When I see the generated wsdl document, I see a ListOrdersResponse
method together with my original method. What is the purpose of this second
method?

TIA,
Erik Cruz

Al Reid

It is a two way conversation. The ListOrdersResponse defines the reply to the Web Service request presented in ListOrders. You ask
a question (ListOrders) and get a reply (ListOrdersResponse).

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

The ListOrdersResponse in the WSDL file is not a method, it is a message.

The method includes a request and a response. ListOrders is the name of the
request, ListOrdersResponse is the name of the response. They are
correlated to each other via the method (aka wsdl:eek:peration), which is
probably also named ListOrders.

WSDL is pretty crufty to look at, especially the auto-gen'd stuff.

-D