wsdl or xsd??

danjourno

I'm pretty much a beginner here when i comes to XML and developing web
services. And am just trying to get my head around it. I have done a few
examples with the Java Application Server and it seems that everything
evolves around wsdl files. This is fine.. But where do xsd files come into
it? The Web services that I'm hoping to ultimately build are to be written
to a whole bunch of standard xsd docs. or something.??

Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks

Martin Honnen

danjourno said:
I'm pretty much a beginner here when i comes to XML and developing web
services. And am just trying to get my head around it. I have done a few
examples with the Java Application Server and it seems that everything
evolves around wsdl files. This is fine.. But where do xsd files come into
it? The Web services that I'm hoping to ultimately build are to be written
to a whole bunch of standard xsd docs. or something.??

WSDL is an XML application which makes use of XML schema constructs/data
types to describe the parameters and result of a web service method.

Fidel Viegas

Martin said:
WSDL is an XML application which makes use of XML schema constructs/data
types to describe the parameters and result of a web service method.

XSD are schema files, and are used to validate your xml document. That
is, you specify a certain number of rules that state what should be
considered as valid on your document. When you run your schema agaisnt
an xml file, it would tell you if the document is valid, if it follows
the rules. Otherwise, it would say that the document is not valid.
The advantage of schemas is just so that you know your documents are
always correct according to the structure (or syntax in compiler
parlance) that you specify.

Hope that helps

All the best