    to a whole bunch of standard xsd docs. or something.??

    Can anyone give me a clue?

    Thanks
    danjourno, Aug 25, 2004

  2. danjourno wrote:

    > I'm pretty much a beginner here when i comes to XML and developing web
    > services. And am just trying to get my head around it. I have done a few
    > examples with the Java Application Server and it seems that everything
    > evolves around wsdl files. This is fine.. But where do xsd files come into
    > it? The Web services that I'm hoping to ultimately build are to be written
    > to a whole bunch of standard xsd docs. or something.??

    WSDL is an XML application which makes use of XML schema constructs/data
    types to describe the parameters and result of a web service method.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Aug 25, 2004

  3. danjourno

    Fidel Viegas Guest

    Martin Honnen wrote:

    > danjourno wrote:
    >
    >> I'm pretty much a beginner here when i comes to XML and developing web
    >> services. And am just trying to get my head around it. I have done a few
    >> examples with the Java Application Server and it seems that everything
    >> evolves around wsdl files. This is fine.. But where do xsd files come
    >> into
    >> it? The Web services that I'm hoping to ultimately build are to be
    >> written
    >> to a whole bunch of standard xsd docs. or something.??

    > WSDL is an XML application which makes use of XML schema constructs/data
    > types to describe the parameters and result of a web service method.

    XSD are schema files, and are used to validate your xml document. That
    is, you specify a certain number of rules that state what should be
    considered as valid on your document. When you run your schema agaisnt
    an xml file, it would tell you if the document is valid, if it follows
    the rules. Otherwise, it would say that the document is not valid.
    The advantage of schemas is just so that you know your documents are
    always correct according to the structure (or syntax in compiler
    parlance) that you specify.

    Hope that helps

    All the best
    Fidel Viegas, Sep 5, 2004