WSDL Proxy class cannot connect to Web Service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Chris Wallis, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. Chris Wallis

    Chris Wallis Guest

    We are using a third party Document Management System
    which has a number of web services. I have created c#
    proxy classes using WSDL.exe for each of the wsdl files
    provided, and calls to the web service work fine when I
    run them on my XP development machine.

    However, when I publish the project to one of our
    Production servers each call to a web service results in
    the error

    "The underlying connection was closed. The remote name
    could not be resolved".

    This looks similar to the problem fixed by Knowledgebase
    article 819450 but I do not see how to fix it when I am
    not using a web service as a Web Reference but rather via
    the proxy class created by wsdl.exe.

    Of course this might be a red herring, since I really
    cannot understand why it works from my XP box but not the
    server?

    Note: I had to copy the wsdl files to my XP box before
    running wsdl.exe because there was security on the web
    service web site which I was unable to get around using
    wsdl.exe. I assume this will make no difference to the
    proxy c# class created.

    Chris Wallis, Oct 14, 2003

  2. can you resolve the name of the target server, fom the "production server"
    ?

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], Oct 16, 2003

  3. Chris Wallis

    Chris Wallis Guest

    Web services are actually a red herring here because as
    part of my investigations I build a text page which
    literally created an XmlDocument and used the Load method
    pointed to a htm file on the Server.

    Again this worked fine from my XP box but failed with
    the "The underlying connection was closed. The remote name
    could not be resolved" error when the code is installed on
    a Production Web server.

    Interestingly, when I use the Production Server of the
    Document Management System rather than the Dev box, both
    the web services and the XmlDocument.Load work from both
    the XP box and the Production Web Server.

    In Summary, I can reach the Production Document Management
    Server from both my XP box and our Production Web Server,
    but I can only reach the Development Document Management
    Server from my XP box.

    For now I am having to continue development on the
    Production Document Management Server which is far from
    ideal, but I really have no idea why I cannot connect to
    the Development Document Management Server from our
    Production Web Servers.

    Any other ideas would be most welcome.

    Chris Wallis, Oct 21, 2003