WSDL/SOAP/XML-RPC HELP

Tomislav Lepusic

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right group, so if you can help me thanks,
if not, sorry to bother you.

I'm working on my student project and I'm totally lost and don't have
any idea how to continue, and the deadline is 1.9.2004. Please help,
'couse i'm loosing myself in this XML/SOAP/RPC/WSDL things......

A little discription.
I have to define and make something like virtual driver for serial port
(RS232), only it isn't really a driver. The server has to be on Linux
box (physical port(s) is/are there), and the other side (client) is not
inportant. It is not important what is connected on serial port. Also,
there is no need to work on any kind of drivers on Windows or something,
becouse that is not the point. I have to make an universal way to
send/recive/control serial port on that server computer from anywhere. I
know how to program for serial port on Linux (in C), and I have made
some progress there. That low-level programing isn't the problem. The
problem is how to make it work over the net, so that someone who wants
to write a program on Windows or Mac can use something universal to
access it (like XML). I HAVE TO USE XML-RPC or SOAP or WSDL or
something like that. The problem is that I don't know how to use those
technologies. I read some tutorials, guides on XML-RPC, SOAP and WSDL,
and I'm totally lost now.
BTW, I was planning to use Perl becouse I know something about it. (I
don't know Java)

So, if you can help me in any way (advice, similar example or
something), please do. This is very important to me. I forget,
everything must be secure (SSL or something).

Thank you

Tom

Simon Andrew

Tomislav,

It's a pity about the 'no-Java' stipulation. Otherwise, my recommendation
would be to use Apache as the web server with Sun Java Web Services
Developer Pack as the RPC engine and Java Native Interface calls to your C
routines. Apache can handle all the HTTPS/SSL a and authentication side of
it, JWSDP can handle all the XML/RPC side and then all you have to do is get
the Java implementation of your web service to call your C code.

JWSDP makes writing web services (in Java) very easy. All you have to do is
write your service implementation and all the WSDL bits are done for you. In
your case, the implemenation is a little bit trickier because you will need
to bridge Java and C - the API for doing that is called JNI.

But it still seems like a 'big ask' with only 9 days to go. The project plan
would need to be something along the lines of: day 1 - learn java, day 2-
learn jwsdp,. day 3 learn jni,..day 4 onwards - make it work. The last bit
would be to switch on the HTTPS - I'd recommend you get it working with HTTP
first.

If you're prepared to take the plunge, check out the following sites:
http://java.sun.com/webservices/index.jsp for JWSDP
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download.html for Java itself
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jni/ for JNI.

I truly wish you well.