WSDL/SOAP/XML-RPC HELP

Discussion in 'XML' started by Tomislav Lepusic, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I don't know if this is the right group, so if you can help me thanks,
    if not, sorry to bother you.

    I'm working on my student project and I'm totally lost and don't have
    any idea how to continue, and the deadline is 1.9.2004. Please help,
    'couse i'm loosing myself in this XML/SOAP/RPC/WSDL things......

    A little discription.
    I have to define and make something like virtual driver for serial port
    (RS232), only it isn't really a driver. The server has to be on Linux
    box (physical port(s) is/are there), and the other side (client) is not
    inportant. It is not important what is connected on serial port. Also,
    there is no need to work on any kind of drivers on Windows or something,
    becouse that is not the point. I have to make an universal way to
    send/recive/control serial port on that server computer from anywhere. I
    know how to program for serial port on Linux (in C), and I have made
    some progress there. That low-level programing isn't the problem. The
    problem is how to make it work over the net, so that someone who wants
    to write a program on Windows or Mac can use something universal to
    access it (like XML). I HAVE TO USE XML-RPC or SOAP or WSDL or
    something like that. The problem is that I don't know how to use those
    technologies. I read some tutorials, guides on XML-RPC, SOAP and WSDL,
    and I'm totally lost now.
    BTW, I was planning to use Perl becouse I know something about it. (I
    don't know Java)

    So, if you can help me in any way (advice, similar example or
    something), please do. This is very important to me. I forget,
    everything must be secure (SSL or something).

    Thank you

    Tom

    Tomislav Lepusic, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Tomislav Lepusic

    Simon Andrew Guest

    Tomislav,

    It's a pity about the 'no-Java' stipulation. Otherwise, my recommendation
    would be to use Apache as the web server with Sun Java Web Services
    Developer Pack as the RPC engine and Java Native Interface calls to your C
    routines. Apache can handle all the HTTPS/SSL a and authentication side of
    it, JWSDP can handle all the XML/RPC side and then all you have to do is get
    the Java implementation of your web service to call your C code.

    JWSDP makes writing web services (in Java) very easy. All you have to do is
    write your service implementation and all the WSDL bits are done for you. In
    your case, the implemenation is a little bit trickier because you will need
    to bridge Java and C - the API for doing that is called JNI.

    But it still seems like a 'big ask' with only 9 days to go. The project plan
    would need to be something along the lines of: day 1 - learn java, day 2-
    learn jwsdp,. day 3 learn jni,..day 4 onwards - make it work. The last bit
    would be to switch on the HTTPS - I'd recommend you get it working with HTTP
    first.

    If you're prepared to take the plunge, check out the following sites:
    http://java.sun.com/webservices/index.jsp for JWSDP
    http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download.html for Java itself
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jni/ for JNI.

    I truly wish you well.