WSE 2.0 SP2 - TimeZone, "Message Expired"

Benjamin

Hi!

When I change TimeZone (emulating a user on the other side of the globe) my
webservice returns following exception:

Microsoft.Web.Services2.Security.SecurityFault
Message: "Message Expired"
InnerException.Message: "At least one timestamp has expired."

Any idea how to make the web service "World-Ready" ?

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi Ben,

We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

[MSFT]

Hello,

Can you explain more about how you change the TimeZone in the web method?
Can you post the code here so that we can know what is going on?

Thanks,

Luke

Benjamin

I have not done any specific either in the client or web service code about
Time Zones.
What I meant with "I change TimeZone" is that I, on my client pc, simply
open "Control Panel | Date/Time | Time Zone Tab" and changed from "GMT+01:00"
to "GMT+02:00". The web service is running on a server machine with unchanged
"GMT+01:00".

How to setup WSE to handle TimeZone-differences?

[MSFT]

Hello,

I found a simaliar issue which was resolved by following solution:

1. Timestamp.TtlInSeconds property. This gets or sets the number of seconds
after creation that a message is valid. You were setting this in your
client side code to either 0,1, or -1. This means that when WSE will
compare the local server time to the expiration time. When you set this to
-1, you’ll see that the <expiration> tag is not included in the soap
envelope however it still fails because of item #3 below

2. <ttlInSeconds> element - This tag you can add to a configuration file to
specify how long an issued SecurityContextToken security token is valid.

3. <timeToleranceInSeconds> element - This is what you need to resolve your
issue. This value specifies the time buffer used by WSE when it compares
the timestamps for a SOAP message. You use the <timeToleranceInSeconds>
element when there is a clock difference between the SOAP message sender
and receiver. WSE uses the <timeToleranceInSeconds> element when it
compares the current time against the expiration time for all security
tokens and against the creation time for post-dated security tokens. The
default time buffer is five minutes. That is, WSE uses the
<timeToleranceInSeconds> element to determine the time buffer of when a
security token or SOAP message is valid.

Solution
=====================
To resolve your issue we simply needed to add this <timeToleranceInSeconds>
element to the configuration file of the client and the web service. For
the web service you simply modify the web.config file. Here is the relevant
change that I made to your web.config file that you sent as the repro.

<microsoft.web.services2>
<diagnostics />
<security>
<timeToleranceInSeconds>660</timeToleranceInSeconds> <!-- 660 = 11
minutes -->
</security>
<tokenIssuer>
<autoIssueSecurityContextToken enabled="false" />
<ttlInSeconds>0</ttlInSeconds>
</tokenIssuer>
</microsoft.web.services2>

This would resolve any errors thrown at the server where the client
expiration (or creation) times are already surpassed. But then you have to
add this configuration to the client application as the server is sending
back timestamps of when the messages expire back to the client. For the
client application you have to add a app.config file that has the following
data:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<configSections>
<section name="microsoft.web.services2"
type="Microsoft.Web.Services2.Configuration.WebServicesConfiguration,
Microsoft.Web.Services2, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
</configSections>
<microsoft.web.services2>
<diagnostics>
<trace enabled="true" input="InputTrace.webinfo"
output="OutputTrace.webinfo"
/>
</diagnostics>
<security>
<timeToleranceInSeconds>660</timeToleranceInSeconds>
</security>
</microsoft.web.services2>
</configuration>

You can actually use the WSE Configuration Tool to automatically create
this app.config file and add it to your client solution files. I recommend
reading up on the WseConfigEditor2.exe tool as documented in the WSE
documentation.

Hope this help,

Luke

Benjamin

When testing all your nice suggestions I suddenly made a revolutionary insight.

All the strange "time zone exception"-behaviour that was the background to
my problem, is only occuring if I change Time Zone (in Control Panel) when my
..NET Windows Form Client is already started.

If I close down my .NET Windows Form Client, and then change Time Zone (in
Control Panel) and then restart my .NET Windows Form Client, the client
always works with any Time Zone setting (without any specific workaround
coding).

It seems that .NET saves some variables in some kind of global cache that it
reuses at all future web service calls. If times differs in that case
exceptions are raised.

So in practice there was no problem from the beginning.
Because it is not a requirement that my .NET Windows Form Client should
support "changes of Time Zone" WHEN RUNNING the client.

This experience can be nice to memorize when others run into
"TimeZone"-problems.

Many thanks,
Benjamin

[MSFT]

Your suspicion is reasonable. I aslo think it should work in this way.
Anyway this needs to be confirmed with our production team.

Thank you for the update.

Luke

Roland Whitley

Where is you client code located... messages are created using GMT so they
are world ready... did you change the time zone in the middle of the request